Networking with Windows [solved]

RadioEar

Just to clear up, are Linux and XP on the same maschine?

If yes, then you should have up to 3 way to let them share files.

1. XP has NTFS partitions, then in Mandriva op konsol, log in as root and type:

urpmi ntfs-3g ntfs-config

Now hit ALT+F2 and write ntfs-config and type your root password when promt, and what you want to have write access to.

2. XP has FAT32 partitions, then open MCC find security-> Set up security level and audit.

on the first page set the security level to standard, now you should be able to write to these partitions.

These options depends on that you have mounted your XP drives/partitions in /etc/fstab

3. On XP you can install ext2ifs and then mount your Mandriva partitions to XP, the driver can be found here http://www.fs-driver.org/

If you want to share files between to maschines then you'll have to setup Samba, you can find a GUI for this in MCC under network sharing.

I really hope this clear up some things for you, if nor please ask again.

ntfs-config is an ugly hack with a lot of Gnome dependencies... nobody needs it.

A proper fstab entry for local partitions, as well as typing a few lines in a couple of config files, if you are using USB drives formatted as NTFS, are enough - no need for ntfs-config, only total newbies will rely on it.

On some distros (e.g. SuSE) you don't need doing anything at all- everything is preconfigured.

ntfs-config is an ugly hack with a lot of Gnome dependencies... nobody needs it.

A proper fstab entry for local partitions, as well as typing a few lines in a couple of config files, if you are using USB drives formatted as NTFS, are enough - no need for ntfs-config, only total newbies will rely on it.

On some distros (e.g. SuSE) you don't need doing anything at all- everything is preconfigured.

I'm really sorry to tell him the easiest and fastest way, to mount NTFS partitions, that will never happen again!!

:oops: OK my bad. I have two machines networked through a router. both have XP and Both have linux. However I download music through one running XP but while the other is running Linux, it would be nice pass files to the other instead of rebooting XP on the second machine. I hope this is clearer :D Edited by RadioEar

samba is the easiest solution... you can use it both for windows and linux networking. It is fully UTF-8 compliant, very fast (actually various tests have proved that file exchange via samba is much faster than via the embedded windoze cifs protocol!) and consuming little resources. It also supports printer sharing.

The other free solution is via ssh, but for having an ssh server under windoze you need either the full cygwin monty, or a commercial solution.

@ orts: I'm sorry to say that installing wholly unneeded files as dependencies is hardly the "easiest and fastest way".

Make it the "potentially most troublesome", and I will wholeheartedly agree...

Besides that, ntfs-config does ***NOT*** solve the localized names problem, which will stay invisible after mounting an NFTS volume containing such files. All it does is allowing you mounting a removable (or local) drive with user permissions. But the locales problem can be resolved in a snap- and I do NOT mean manual partition mounting using the correct arguments... just not with ntfs-config, although the program developer says it auto-detects the locales and sets them for you. I do not know if this applies for Ubuntu (not using it), but it certainly enough does not apply for various other distros, including Mandriva.

Edited by scarecrow

@ orts: I'm sorry to say that installing wholly unneeded files as dependencies is hardly the "easiest and fastest way".

Make it the "potentially most troublesome", and I will wholeheartedly agree...

Besides that, ntfs-config does ***NOT*** solve the localized names problem, which will stay invisible after mounting an NFTS volume containing such files. All it does is allowing you mounting a removable (or local) drive with user permissions. But the locales problem can be resolved in a snap- and I do NOT mean manual partition mounting using the correct arguments... just not with ntfs-config, although the program developer says it auto-detects the locales and sets them for you. I do not know if this applies for Ubuntu (not using it), but it certainly enough does not apply for various other distros, including Mandriva.

Mayby I have misunderstood something, and I say just ***MAYBY*** because I have newer experienced any trouble at all, when I have done it this way, not even with locales.

But if you have a better way to do this, then why don't you make a little howto? Instead of just criticising me for my solution?

But if you have a better way to do this, then why don't you make a little howto? Instead of just criticising me for my solution?

Because I've already done so (no, I don't mean criticizing your solution...).

See here

It needs just a texteditor, installs NOTHING, takes one minute to settle, and it's working always, in all distros- even LFS.

Maybe it will be broken after a couple of new ntfs-3g releases, but for the moment it's working perfectly.

Ah yes- and we are a wee bit out of topic- don't you think so?

Edited by scarecrow

Folks

There is more than one way to do anything in Linux. Let's just agree that we all have preferences. And let's try to keep a civil tone on things when we have a different recommendation. B) A simple "I always do it this way..." is best. I like it when I recommend something and 22 posts later, the user actually does what I suggested! (It works, of course.)

Because I've already done so (no, I don't mean criticizing your solution...).

See here

It needs just a texteditor, installs NOTHING, takes one minute to settle, and it's working always, in all distros- even LFS.

Maybe it will be broken after a couple of new ntfs-3g releases, but for the moment it's working perfectly.

Ah yes- and we are a wee bit out of topic- don't you think so?

I'll try this the next time I have to setup a computer with Mandriva (this weekend), but don't you have to install ntfs-3g?

@Ixthusdan

There is more than one way to do anything in Linux. Let's just agree that we all have preferences. And let's try to keep a civil tone on things when we have a different recommendation. cool.gif A simple "I always do it this way..." is best. I like it when I recommend something and 22 posts later, the user actually does what I suggested! (It works, of course.)

Ecxactly, and thats why I gave this solution in my first answer.

But i'll use your recommandation next time.