Dual display issues

tri2kon9

The file I'm trying to install:

ATI Driver Installer 46.0MB 7.12 Dec 20, 2007 Automated installer and Display Drivers for X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3

These are the instructions that the ATI website gives me:

# Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux driver download.

# Enter the command ati-driver-installer-7-12-x86.x86_64.run to launch the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer. The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed.

When I enter the second command, it says that it doesn't recognize the command.

From ATi's sight: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

Follow this flow on the left column: AMD Customer Care Site Map > Radeon Support - PC > Radeon X1900 series > Knowledgebase > Display >

Summary: run "fglrxconfig" in the CLI.

Then, according to ATi, you do not have their proprietary driver installed. The utility comes with the driver. I use Nvidia, which installs a utility with a gui. I know that at one time ATi did not support Linux but that they have gotten up to speed. I only found reference to running the utility from CLI. Have you restarted the X server? Is the driver loaded? Their sight also gives instructions on how to see if their driver is loaded. fglrxinfo should report the installation.