Cedega = buggered

I have the same problem as this guy, except

$ cedega installer.exe

doesn't work: says that it has started to debug and after 10 minutes has still hung. Am pretty annoyed at the moment because i paid the subscription fee and im waiting for The Orange Box to arrive from Amazon (which i still havent heard anything from Transgaming regarding compatability)

The output from

$ glxinfo | grep direct

is

Direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: mesa glx indirect

So im kinda guessing the problem lies somewhere within the direct rendering, which failed the Cedega system setup test. Any ideas please?

this means you have NO Hardware3D-Acceleration, seems you should install the proper drivers for your graphic-card first.

without hardware-3D even Linux-native 3D-Games won't work, so it's primarily a problem with your graphics driver not cedega

you seem to have an ati-card, so you need the fglrx-driver.

Edited by lavaeolus

Ok, where do i find that? I've looked everywhere for it and no-one has it. The urpmi isn't an option because there's no access to the internet for my laptop.

(edit): I managed to find the fglrx driver, installed it and tried the cedega system tests again. It failed the openGL rendering and the 3D acceleration. Grr...

Edited by Countable

ati's drivers are somewhat buggy to say the least, while they work ok on my x1400 and x1950 they don't work on my x850.

have you tried the fglrx-driver from mandriva or the one directly from ati ?

If you don't have a laptop (where you are doomed using the embedded VGA): Have you considered swapping the ATi VGA with an Nvidia one?

So far, not one person who attempted this has regretted it! The proprietary nvidia driver works just great, and offers native composite support. Under windows there may be fierce competition, but under Linux the ATi coffin is firmly nailed.

If you don't have a laptop (where you are doomed using the embedded VGA): Have you considered swapping the ATi VGA with an Nvidia one?

So far, not one person who attempted this has regretted it! The proprietary nvidia driver works just great, and offers native composite support. Under windows there may be fierce competition, but under Linux the ATi coffin is firmly nailed.

I have a laptop, does this mean the embedded VGA is all i have?

I have a laptop, does this mean the embedded VGA is all i have?
Pretty much. Someone recently came out with an external video card that could be hooked up to a laptop, but it's expensive and pretty much untested so I wouldn't even bother looking into it.

This external card offers not that much performance, because it offers only the connection-speed of PCI-Ex1, which is somewhat slow, so even if the card itself is a fast one, you loose to much performance because of the low data-transfer, btw. I don't know if any of these external cards is supported by any linux-driver.

btw. you seem to have an ati-xpress 1100 chipset, this means an x300 graphics-core with shared memory, not the best thing for gaming imho, and afaik this chipset is not very well supported by the fglrx-driver

And if 3d Acceleration isn't working in Linux, it won't work in VMWare (assuming the VMWare session is running in the Linux install where 3d acceleration doesn't work). At least, IIRC, because VMWare still accesses your hardware through Linux.

dual-booting would be a much better solution.