Asus eee PC and Mandy

sjaglin

Hi,

I have had my eee pc ( http://eeepc.asus.com/global/ ) for a couple of days and I must say it is a great experience, just as exciting as when I changed from cds and vinyl to mp3!

A lot of people are trying new distros on this model, mostly ubuntu. I would like to try a mandriva based distribution in order to keep our Mandy in the fast lane! Is there a good "how to" on how to create something similar to flash mandriva.

Any ideas?

Stef

Hi

There is progress, I have managed to install mandriva 2007.1 on the eee pc from ASUS. I used the MCNL live toronto cd from boot, then installed it on a 2 GB pendrive and created a permanent loop. I then reboot with the option livecd persist and there t goes.

Here isthe website for MCNL:

www.mcnlive.org/usblive.htm

And where I got the .iso for Toronto:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/man...mcnlive/Toronto

The 3d desktop works perfectly and with a very good resolution. I am trying to make the wifi and eth0 to work but so far no joy.I used ndiswrapper the following way :

-Started drakconf and went in network management

-Configure new connection/wireless/ndiswrapper

-I pointed at the windows driver on the rescue cd which comes with the PC

Then the configuration seems to work but after a few seconds I got an error message saying that some firmware can't be found.

I would like to mention that MCNL people deserve a SPECIAL mention as so far I've tried a few live cd the eee and Toronto (apart for the network) gave me the best result, metisse is a blessing on sucha small factor.

I use metisse on it, it give much more room to work, I only show my beryl install to advertise for linux...

Stef

• 4 weeks later...

Victory,

I managed to make wifi work on my asus eee pc, using the "how-to" on :

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:configurendiswrapper

You need to follow the instructions religiously and the wifi will work.

To install Mandriva I had to use mandriva one 2007.1, the others (Mandriva 2008 power DVD, Mandriva 2008 one) were installing but I was getting kernel panic all the time (despite noapic, nolapic, acpi=0).

I installed on a usb external hard drive (western digital 120GB " elements"), it's not for newbies though, I had to tinker a bit, although I unfortunately don't remember everything.

I am now installing updates via urpmi (easy-urpmi and update all) and will see if it still works.

The 3D desktop works very well (compiz-fusion) as well as metisse but I hope to install and use xfce which should be lighter...

:D :D :D

This How-to is , so far, for an install of Mandriva 2008 on an external usb hard drive using the Asus Eee P701. It is a very basic install I have not tried everything but the wi-fi and the sound work as well as all the 3D Desktop features (Metisse, Compiz-Fusion) including the transparencies.

Hardware required :

-Eee asus P701

-Usb external cd reader

-Usb external Hard drive with a partition of at least 3 GB free for root.

-A lot of patience...

0-Some work before you start if you are not a Mandriva user:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2008.0.html

1-Boot the Eee on the hard-drive with the cdrom Mandriva 2007.1 (spring) inside making sure that the wifi is on (blue light on).

2-Let the normal boot occur with no other option.If you get a kernel panic type noapic nolapic as an option.

3-Answer the usual question of language and location, choosing no 3d desktop for the first boot will speed-up the process.

4-Once Kde is running click on the install Icon and be patient , took 35 mins for me on a very old external CDROM reader. At this stage you will have to configure your partitions, I chose 10GB for root and 2GB of swap.

5- When probed for the boot order and where to install it, make sure you choose your external hard-drive or this will alter you stock distro.

REBOOT

6-When rebooting, press the escape key and choose your usb drive to boot.

7-You need to be confortable to work so I advise to reduce the taskbar to tiny, reduce the icons to 24 and enable metisse in order to have more space.

8-Enable the wifi:

We need here to use a windows driver (sorry) and ndiswrapper to make it useable in linux.

Follow religiously the instructions there:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:configurendi...s=wifi%20driver

it works perfectly first time,if not you have missed an important detail!

Once online, I suggest you pay a visit to easy urpmi and update your system. I did a cleanup, removing all the nvidia stuff and all the languages I don't need. I also installed xfce to see if there was any speed gain. I didn't notice any...

9-Enable the sound :

Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add the line “options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig†to get sound working working. At this stage I had to reboot in order to have the sound working, it might not be necessary, please correct if it is the case.

10- Configure the system to your preferences

In order to install codecs and oter necessities to play videos and music properly I suggest to go to:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/configuration2008.0.html

Lots of advice there with screen shots etc... I also advise a few addons for firefox :

CrossFTP, FullerScreen, Download Statusbar. That will save you some space, along with a compact theme if you still feel a bit tight.

Points still not checked :

Webcam

Ethernet

Sleep mode

Wifi fn Key

etc...

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Keeping the thread alive!

Hi,

I could not resist to install and test-drive the beta-2 version of the Mandriva-sping 2008, and the news is : it works fine on the eeepc (P 701 asus mini laptop).

[stephane@localhost ~]$ df
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1			 3.3G  2.3G 1010M  70% /
[stephane@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.24.2-laptop-1mdv
[stephane@localhost ~]$

I have installed quite a lot of stuff, it all works. Harware-wise, the sounde buttons still don't work out of the box but we shall see, it seems easy to activate them. The 3d is stunning and flawless with all the options on.

Try it, love it, keep it!

Stef

:thumbs: