PCLinuxOS - A new Mandi?

wakish

Back to the topic :)

Community Remaster - PCLOS Gnome 2.12.2 Released

Written by Administrator

Friday, 28 December 2007

Ken Dotson (Gnome Edition Release Manager) has announced the release of PCLOS Gnome Edition 2.21.2. Featuring kernel 2.6.22.15, Gnome 2.21.2, Gnome office apps, Firefox 2.0.0.11, Frostwire, Azureus, Xmms, Flash, JRE, a ton of multimedia apps, and much more. Complete package list here. Almost 2 gigs of software compressed on a single self bootable livecd that can be installed to your hard drive provided it is compatible with your system and you like the distribution. Over 7000+ additional packages available after hard drive install through our Synaptic Software Manager.

All new bootsplash, backgrounds, and really nice features, upgraded to a great looking operating system and the best out-of-the-box look, and user experience possible! I hope that you will be completely satisfied with this new PCLinuxOS gnome!

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

But what are the core differences which set it apart from Mandi?

It's the new COOL distro on Distrowatch after Ubuntu got boring.

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Now serious:

It started as a spin-off of Mandriva 9.2 I think, but it now went its own way, although imho it is still very mandriva-like in many ways, main difference is it is kde-centric (beware you gnome-lovers out there) and for all the urpmi-haters out there it uses apt/synaptic for package management.

It was more polished and had better looks than previous versions of mandy and sometimes (most of the time) the kde-version it used was newer.

ah sorry, forgot the <cynism></cynism> tags.

main difference is it is kde-centric (beware you gnome-lovers out there) and for all the urpmi-haters out there it uses apt/synaptic for package management.

It has a full Gnome desktop, regularly updated, so i guess the saying "kde-centric" is a little bit outdated.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=346614

Edited by ilia_kr

Sorry, seems I didn't see your post (not that it was easy to overlook ).

Just out of couriosity, have you tried the gnome version, sounds very interesting

old myths die slowly, Mandriva is still considered a KDE-Distro, which is not really true anymore, seems to be the same here.

Edited by lavaeolus

Sorry, seems I didn't see your post (not that it was easy to overlook ).

Just out of couriosity, have you tried the gnome version, sounds very interesting

old myths die slowly, Mandriva is still considered a KDE-Distro, which is not really true anymore, seems to be the same here.

The gnome is a community release (as a quote says) and i have it installed on my pc. I didn't try a gnome ISO though but i think that it is the same gnome as you can get from PCLos' repository (which i have). I usually use KDE but i gave gnome a try for a week or so and haven't noticed any glitches, i think it is ok.