PCLinuxOS - A new Mandi?

wakish

I just installed the latest version of PCLinuxOS.

So far, so go.. I find it cool till now but I still need to try it more..

1) Anyone else have used or is using it? What are your views about PCLinuxOS ?

2) It's very similar to Mandi (since it's based on the latter).. But what are the core differences which set it apart from Mandi? (I'm expecting this one to be replied by advanced nix users :P )

Edited by wakish

I use PCLinuxOS and find it more stable (the KDE version) than Mandriva. It is a rolling distro, so i can upgrade to the latest version without the need to download any new ISO image. Its KDE works better for me and lacks some annoying bugs i found in Mandriva's (maybe the QA process is better). PCLos uses apt-get, some claim that it is way better that urpmi, i don't know for sure why.

The biggest disadvantage of PClos is its small repository, although it contains everything I need (except for some math apps like octave).

Ilia wrote the most important things.

However I don't understand this:

I use PCLinuxOS and find it more stable (the KDE version)
Is there an official GNOME version now? Cause when I used PCLOS in the 0.93 times it was absolutely KDE centric. Their base system namely the gcc was so ancient that the newer releases of GNOME didn't compile and they didn't bother with it. Texstar made it clear that it's not among his priorities. So they were two major releases behind in GNOME.

They have a new base and gcc with 2007 so I'm sure it's not the case now. But as the base system gets older it may occur again. So if you like PCLOS you better like KDE.

I cannot see something wrong with PCLOS having only unofficial Gnome packages... heck, even Slackware does not have an official Gnome group since some two years ago!

It is also using gcc 4.X.X since version 0.94, his package base is trailing Cooker only slightly, and leading stable by a big margin. The Tex packages are surely enough more polished than the Mandy ones (this has never been a secret), the distro is absolutely KDE centric (again I see no evil), and the distro developer base is really bad- one of the worst I've seen in any distro, e.g. buliding even fairly simple Gnome or plain gtk2 packages like d4x and gmpc is next to impossible. But this is no problem for most PCLOS users, which only know how to order, and not how to cook.

In short: Yes, PCLOS is an exhellent "point-and-shoot" distro, much better than Mandy for that purpose. My 13-year old daughter has been using it on her laptop since one year ago, and she is very pleased with it- fast, complete, few bugs, plenty of eyecandy right out of the box...

Oh- and yes, Apt-Get or Smart are a better choice than the measly urpmi frontend. For me, perhaps not for the same reason Thac is discarding it, but its usage is surely enough very annoying. Such frequent freezes, after so much time of development of the new version is simply unacceptable- sorry for that...

But if you like finetuning your packages and OS the way YOU like, then you surely have to look somewhere else... your choice with PCLOS will be pretty limited, building new packages a hard task (excluding kernels, where rolling is just as easy as under Mandriva), and the system scripts rather too complex to allow easy DYI manipulation (not that's impossible- just tweak-unfriendly).

Edited by scarecrow

Texstar made excellent versions of Mandrake KDE rpms. He developed new KDE versions faster than Mandrake, and they always worked. He decided to start his own distro, what is now PCLinuxOS. He always liked KDE and as far as I know, he still does. He has not been in here in a while, but judging from the distro, he is doing just fine. ;)

Oh- and yes, Apt-Get or Smart are a better choice than the measly urpmi frontend.
Damn, I am so tired of these annoying nonsense-flame-posts... After all if you are comparing apples with oranges. Apt-get and smart are NOT frontends to the package managers. *sigh*

If you simply want to badmouth Mandriva, then do so - and tell us so. But please stop posting this kind of nonsense.

Damn, I am so tired of these annoying nonsense-flame-posts... After all if you are comparing apples with oranges. Apt-get and smart are NOT frontends to the package managers. *sigh*

If you simply want to badmouth Mandriva, then do so - and tell us so. But please stop posting this kind of nonsense.

I am sorry?

All three approaches are managing the ***SAME*** rpm repositories and their rpm dependencies in their own way.

apt/synaptic works great, and the same goes for Smart (although there are a couple of inherent limitations).

Urpmi at its current incarnation is highly problematic.

If you call the above "kind of nonsense", then I pass. But allow me to have my own concrete opinion, because I do use Mandriva(Cooker) on a regular basis.

Go out, and ask various people with some knowledge about the issue (Texstar, Thac, Ze, Gael...) what they think about the current urpmi status. I bet they will be way less polite than me...

urpmi is a package manager

apt-get is a package manager

smart is a package manager

rpmdrake is a graphical frontend

synaptic is a graphical frontend

smart-gui is a graphical frontend

I thought you know the difference between package managers and graphical frontends. :juggle:

urpmi is a package manager

apt-get is a package manager

smart is a package manager

rpmdrake is a graphical frontend

synaptic is a graphical frontend

smart-gui is a graphical frontend

I thought you know the difference between package managers and graphical frontends. :juggle:

He at no stage whatsoever mentioned "graphical".

This is utterly semantics but..... you _could_ say urpmi, apt-get, smart are frontends to a rpm based system. The line's totally blurred now, it lies in a different spot in each distro and often there's no separation, but once upon a time -- there was more of one.

RPM itself presently stands for RPM Package Manager. The management of packages, tracking files, dependencies and installation is still done at that level. You could always grab packages by hand, and install them by hand with rpm -Uvh (iirc on the args) -- fancy downloading and resolution isnt neccesarily a part of a package manager.

In Arch, pacman has been split to libalpm and pacman, so you could argue that pacman is now a frontend to our package system -- any 'frontend' can utilise libalpm and do it a bit different. In other distros, there's no split -- the package manager is the package manager and there's no lower level than that.

Despite this, the semantics aren't important to understand the point of scarecrow's post, and given the above, you can see his use of 'frontend' is reasonable.

Anyway... chillout :) :paul:

James

Iphitus, he always criticised the new graphical frontend (=rpmdrake) as being shitty (if my memory still serves me well). That's okay and I can live with this opinion of his, although I'd say that it is not inferior or superior but simply different to the old rpmdrake. But urpmi being shitty suddenly? What facts are there to back his opinion? What reports are there that reveal that urpmi is "highly roblematic"? If he cannot come up with something to back up his point, I continue to say that it is nonsense what he posts. I have searched the web and haven't found any evidence of urpmi being "highly problematic" (except some database-locks, which are nothing worth discussing, as you might agree).

This is an important thing: there were no far-reaching differences in the urpmi design after the urpmi updates got shipped to the mirrors (except urpmi being locked completely in cooker once - but hey... it's cooker!). I have followed the development at Mandriva now for roughly four years, and never have I encountered a stage where urpmi got worse or was robbed of its possibilities. It is as functional as always and even more reliable now than it was some years ago. How can a package manager be worse if it did not experience dramatic chances in its design but got more options and got more reliable?

How can based on that fact someone like Gael Duval state that urpmi - in its current version - is a bad package manager (and where did he state that)? If he did so, well... understanding Gael Duval is quite simple. It's all about politics and economics. He wants to push his apt-get based Ubuntu-spinoff. But really... who cares about Gael who now and then does some mud-slinging :handbags: because he got fired some months ago?

It was not me who compared synaptic to urpmi. ;) Call it a sematics thing if you want. for me it is still "comparing apples with oranges".

PS: You might ask why I do care about this thing at all. The reason is: new users or less it-knowledgeable users might get irritated and spread nonsense themselves later on on other forums. That will serve absolutely no one but only hurt the whole Linux-community.

Don't forget yum :D

Chill out boys and girls. It's Christmas time. Time to drink some more :beer: and spend some time with the families and enjoy the New Year. I'm sure everyone has opened their christmas packages (without the use of front ends other than your hands). New Year is almost upon us! Only a few more days to go.