I've quit looking... Someone come help me

Guest bigrjsuto

Guest bigrjsuto

Alright.

I've looked high and low and I have just given up.

I'm trying to get my wireless to work on my laptop:

HP dv2615nr

Mandriva 2008 One

What's killing me is the stupid Broadcom card!!!!

This is what comes out from lspci

04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)

I don't know how to get fwcutter to work.

I've blacklisted the provided bcm43xx and that didn't do anything.

I tried taking the bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys and ndiswrapping them in a /drivers directory to no avail.

I tried modifying modules.conf and that didn't do anything.

I just want to get the wireless working.

Please help me...

Go back to Vista? You mean it actually worked? :P

Frankly, I have never used fwcutter to get ndiswrapper going. In a console as root, type "ndiswrapper -l" and post what it says.

Guest bigrjsuto
[root@localhost robsuto]# ndiswrapper -l
Unknown line at line 2389
bcmwl5 : driver installed
	device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
bcmwl5.sys : invalid driver!
broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.tar : invalid driver!
wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o : invalid driver!

Notice that the first entry says that the driver is installed and that the device is present. This driver will work. But the other three are wrong and interfering with the process. So, to remove the wrong stuff, use "ndiswrapper -e bcmwl5.sys". Repeat this for each of the other bad driver entries. "ndiswrapper -e broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.tar" "ndiswrapper -e wl_aptsa-3.130.20.0.o"

When you are finished with this, you can open Mandriva Control Center and configure the adapter with ndiswrapper; the driver will work.

Me wonders where one can get a driver named "broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.tar"... Never, ever saw in my life a container with a double tar extension.

It seems you have downloaded the correct driver, but instead of untarring it you mistyped, and tarred it again one more time!

Edited by scarecrow

Me wonders where one can get a driver named "broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.tar"... Never, ever saw in my life a container with a double tar extension.

It seems you have downloaded the correct driver, but instead of untarring it you mistyped, and tarred it again one more time!

all together now:

www.linuxant.com

its free to try and $20 if it works

its the best $20 I've ever spent. they license it to your MAC address, so for example on my laptop where I use 4 different distros for testing, i can use it in all 4 w/ NO problemo.

a lot of purinsts haveissues because its close sources but for me it works, works everytime and i get a stronger signal than w/ ndiswrapper.

but thats just my 2 cts

Excuse me, but for $ 20.55 I can get a shiny new 802.11g USB wlan stick, fully Linux compliant (say Ralink based), which will have a fast and free driver, and I can use ANYWHERE.

Accepting bets which one is the best investment... :P

any n linux compliant devices on the market yet?

all together now:

www.linuxant.com

its free to try and $20 if it works

its the best $20 I've ever spent. they license it to your MAC address, so for example on my laptop where I use 4 different distros for testing, i can use it in all 4 w/ NO problemo.

a lot of purinsts haveissues because its close sources but for me it works, works everytime and i get a stronger signal than w/ ndiswrapper.

but thats just my 2 cts

Looks to me like DriverLoader = ndiswrapper and xsupplicant = wpa_supplicant. Both ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant are free. I can't see how Linuxant can guarantee something works any better than ndiswrapper. :unsure:

Not saying it's not worth a try, but I'd only pay if it wouldn't work for me any other way. I prefer to use as much opensource as possible.

I am one of those unfortunate souls who have Broadcom products...... in other words, I have learned how to use ndiswrapper! After learning how to use it, I have no troubles. With 2008, the Linux driver even worked, for a change. But I like ndiswrapper because I know how to trouble shoot it. I agree, though, that if I am going to spend money, I would pick the right hardware. But that is just me.