How to install two ethernet cards without X windows system?

Guest KShots

Guest KShots
try

rpm --rebuilddb

If that doesn't do it, with no rpm processes running look in /var/lib/rpm and delete any __db.0x files then do

rpm --rebuilddb

rpm --initdb

There it is

Still no go :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KShots, I don't think what you typed in is a command .. :-( . I'm talking about:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib Online ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/mandrake/9.1/i586

I see what you want to do though. Actually, you want to remove the cdrom from the machine and download the packages from the net. So type the following as root (note, this is all in one line).

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia  main ftp://ftp.uasw.edu/pub/os/linux/mandrake/dist/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

This will add three *remote* cds to your rpm database. If you want to add more sources (or the above ftp server is too slow) to your database (Textar, PLF, ...) then I suggest you to go there:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

You have to choose your Mandrake version, then you select which souce to add and finally press 'send'. The line you have to type in as root will show up at the end of the page (this is how I got the above command ;-) ). Now type 'urpmi.removedia' to list your sources (you should only have 'main' by now) and type 'urpmi tightvnc-server' to download and install vnc .. you should get something like that (notice that my server is on 9.0)

[root@localhost gd]# urpmi.removemedia 

L'entr?e ? retirer est manquante

(l'une parmi Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1), Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2), International CD (x86) (cdrom3), Contrib, update_source, Texstar)

[root@localhost gd]# urpmi tightvnc-server

--04:00:34--  ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

=> `/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/.listing'

R?solution de ftp.ibiblio.org... compl?t?.

Connexion vers ftp.ibiblio.org[152.2.210.81]:21...connect?.

Session d?butant sous anonymous...Session ?tablie!

==> SYST ... compl?t?.    ==> PWD ... compl?t?.

==> TYPE I ... compl?t?.  ==> CWD /pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms ... compl?t?.

==> PASV ... compl?t?.    ==> LIST ... compl?t?.

0K .......... .......... ..........                       ??% 78.8K       

04:00:35 (78.83 KB/s) - ? /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/.listing ? sauvegard? [31077]

? /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/.listing ? d?truit.

--04:00:35--  ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

=> `/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm'

==> CWD n'est pas requis.

==> PASV ... compl?t?.    ==> RETR tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm ... compl?t?.

Longueur: 662,783

0K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  7%  104K   0:05

50K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 15%  121K   0:04

100K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 23%  119K   0:04

150K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 30%  121K   0:03

200K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 38%  121K   0:03

250K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 46%  118K   0:02

300K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 54%  121K   0:02

350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 61%  121K   0:02

400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 69%  118K   0:01

450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 77%  123K   0:01

500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 84%  121K       

550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 92%  119K       

600K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......   100%  122K       

04:00:41 (119.00 KB/s) - ? /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm ? sauvegard? [662783]

Les paquetages suivants ont des signatures non valides:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

Voulez-vous continuer l'installation?? (o/N) o

installation de /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

Pr?paration...              ##################################################

1:tightvnc-server        ##################################################

If that still doesn'T work, then download tightvnc-server by hand by typing the following (note, this is all in one line):

wget ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms/tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

and install it by typing that as root:

rpm -ivh tightvnc-server-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm

..but you should not have to do that really..

Good luck!

MottS

Guest KShots

Well, for some reason it took several tries to set up, but it works now :). Thanks guys, I think without your help I wouldn't have had this thing running for... well, maybe not at all :).

EDIT: OK, having problems with the VNC... I log in just fine, I see a blue background on my Windows PC and the watch icon, and can even move it around (couldn't do that on the box directly).... but it suffers the same symptoms that it did directly (white box flashes on, then off, then on, and loops indefinately.) No taskbar or other options :(

EDIT2: Well, I logged in as a different user and tried iceWM - It worked! Any chance someone can tell me how to switch to iceWM from KDE via the command-line? :)

YOu should have put your edits in another post. I just didn't see it. Last time I came here the two edits wasn't there..

EDIT: OK, having problems with the VNC... I log in just fine, I see a blue background on my Windows PC and the watch icon, and can even move it around (couldn't do that on the box directly).... but it suffers the same symptoms that it did directly (white box flashes on, then off, then on, and loops indefinately.) No taskbar or other options :(

EDIT2: Well, I logged in as a different user and tried iceWM - It worked! Any chance someone can tell me how to switch to iceWM from KDE via the command-line? :)

Ok. I guess KDE starts when you start your vncserver via ssh right? .. but you would like to start IceWM instead. So as your normal user (the one that starts the vncserver), create a file name .xinitrc in your $HOME directory and put that in it. So the file is /home/your_user/.xinitrc

#!/bin/bash

######## START PROGRAMS ###########

#gkrellm &

#dfm &

######## START A WM ###############

icewm

This will starts IceWM instead of KDE when you start the vncserver. Notice that you can put whaterver you want in that file. I commented out (#) the 'gkrellm' and 'dfm' because those programs are instaled on my machine and they start automatically when I start my vncserver on my server. So you may add whatever you like.. (like your half-life server ??)

Start another post if you still have question !! ... we are completely offtopic here .. :lol:

MOttS

Guest KShots
we are completely offtopic here ..
Yep, I think the original topic has been solved. Any other issues should be separate :). I'll post future question in new topics :)