Question about mandrake

ncb

Don't use X and it'll serve you forever. Router, firewall, apache server, file slave..you name it. I have some nice p200 servers that just won't quit. You might know them as supermame and mdkxp.

If you want to use X on that box, do some remote forwarding magic. All you need is another machine on the network and the sshd server running on the target machine. Type a command from the commandline on the remote machine (after logging in via ssh) and it'll pop up the graphical app on your screen, forwarded from the server.

This is very handy for rpmdrake, harddrake, or mandrake control center. Best way to run a headless server next to webmin.

I want it to basically server as another workstation because I don't need a firewall or anything and that sounds to complicated for me regardless. I might try fluxbox or something too. I need some of the graphical tools regardless of what distro because i don't know enough about the konsole to maintain and fix the quirks in a machine just plain via konsole even though I can get around ok that way.