Need a new version of HPLIP [solved]

rm42

How does one go about requesting updates to packages? In particular HPLIP is only at version 2.7.7-8.1 in the current repos. I have just purchased an HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One printer and apparently it requires HPLIP 2.7.9 or newer. I even tried adding the backports repo but don't see any updates. Fortunately PCLinuxOS has 2.7.10-2 in their repos, so I can get by for now. But, it would be nice to be able to use the printer from Mandriva as well. :D

Install rpm-build, rpm-mandriva-setup-build, and the rpmtools packages. :)

Hey Greg, thanks for your help so far. This is the output I got when running rpmbuild on that package:

[root@localhost hplip_src]# rpmbuild --rebuild hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.1.src.rpm

Installing hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.1.src.rpm

warning: user mandrake does not exist - using root

warning: group mandrake does not exist - using root

error: Failed build dependencies:

libsane-devel is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

xsane is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

python-devel is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

PyQt >= 3.13-2mdk is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

python-sip >= 4.1.1 is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

net-snmp-devel is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

libusb-devel >= 0.1.8 is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

ImageMagick is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

libcups-devel is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

libjpeg-devel is needed by hplip-2.7.10-1mdv2008.0.src

[root@localhost hplip_src]#

What would be the best way of resolving this?

the mentioned files (build dependencies) are needed to build the rpm, you just need to install them through rpmdrake and then try again

Edited by lavaeolus

...and bulding RPM's as root is not a very good idea.

Better read the documentation on how to make a user RPMbuild environment.

Thanks guys. OK, I am not sure that I have the time to invest in this project. I mean, I would love to get into it and even become a contributor of sorts, but I just don't have the time. If one of you that are already set up for this kind of thing could provide a ready-built rpm it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will just have to keep using PCLinuxOS for printing until Mandriva catches up. :'(

I fail to see why you should change, if PCLOS works for you.

As you may, or may not have noticed, we aren't an official Mandriva Linux forum, and the majority of us aren't using Mandriva on the first place!

Ha, that is funny. I'm in the wrong place! :clown:

But, it is not that I am planning to switch from PCLinuxOS. It is just that on my laptop I have both, and Linux Mint. I like being able to use each of their strong points for different tasks and different scenarios. Being able to print to this printer is one example. On the other hand, I find that Mandriva has better wireless support that either of the other ones. And, Linux Mint, well, it is just so pretty.

I guess I'll work my way over to the 'official' Mandriva forums. Thanks again for trying to help.

Edited by rm42

Ha, that is funny. I'm in the wrong place! :clown:

No, it's not funny, it's sad. It's a shame that that none of the admins/mods, or members have spoken up in this thread. I would not have told you to do anything that would harm your system in any way. It will not harm your system to make your one hplip.rpm as root, as described in the thread I have linked for you. If at a later date, you would like to set up a build environment, I would be glad to help you.

I'm sorry that this has been your first experience here. I'm going to go over to the 'official'

Mandriva forums now, and register myself.

Greg

Greg,

I appreciate your interest in helping me. I decided to give it a go. I installed all the listed dependencies and ran the command again. This time it finished with no errors and created a set of rpms at /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/i586. I then installed each of them by double clicking on them. They all installed fine and they now all appear under the list of packages under Software Management. However, for some strange reason the PPD for my printer does not seem to be included.

Wen I run the HP Device Manager program and click on "Setup Device" > Network/Eternet/Wireless..., it does not find my printer. However, when I click on the "Find Manually" button an enter the IP address of the printer it does find it. and identifies the model correctly. Nevertheless, when clicking "Next", the correct model PPD file is not offered as a choice.

The about box for the HP Device Manager lists the HPLIP Sofware version as 2.7.10 and the Device Manager itself as version 11.0. My guess is that I may need an even newer version of HPLIP. The one on PCLinuxOS is version 2.7.10-2 and it worked flawlessly. I will go ahead and report this on the bug report that is open for this issue.

Oh, well, it was worth a shot. At least I learned how to do a little backporting. ;)