When MDK hangs during boot...

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

When MDK hangs during boot...when your sitting there watching the lines of text scrolling down the screen and suddenly it gets "stuck" on "loading latin.inc" or some other line...after you've waited a very reasonable 5...10...15 minutes...what do you do to avoid having to run an integrity check each time and compounding your errors each time you do this?

A) Reset button?

B) On/off button?

C) Ctrl+SysReq?

D) Grab a bag of cheetos and just wait?

- Peace

Guest greeneggs
I would be thinking about replacing..........the power supply! :mystismiles:

Wait...twist my arm...OUCH!...Ok, ok, tommorow this puppy is getting a new power supply! :P

I would tend to agree with Ixthusdan. However, I haven't been following the other thread since it went into multiple pages, so I don't know if you have checked your RAM. A bad stick of RAM will cause intermittant problems too.

In answer to the question about what to do. Always choose C.

Alt+SysRq. ---- and R,S,E,I,U,B (just write down RSEIUB somewhere)

<Alt><SysRq>-r -- raw (raw keyboard mode, gets keys directly)

<Alt><SysRq>-s -- sync (write unsaved files)

<Alt><SysRq>-e -- term (gently terminate programs)

<Alt><SysRq>-i -- kill (rudely kill programs that didn't finish up with term)

<Alt><SysRq>-u -- umount (unmount the file systems, remount read-only) 

<Alt><SysRq>-b -- reboot

Always follow the sequence in the order given.

Guest greeneggs
I would tend to agree with Ixthusdan.  However, I haven't been following the other thread since it went into multiple pages, so I don't know if you have checked your RAM.    A bad stick of RAM will cause intermittant problems too.

In answer to the question about what to do.  Always choose C.

Alt+SysRq. ---- and R,S,E,I,U,B (just write down RSEIUB somewhere)

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-r -- raw (raw keyboard mode, gets keys directly)<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-s -- sync (write unsaved files)<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-e -- term (gently terminate programs)<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-i -- kill (rudely kill programs that didn't finish up with term)<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-u -- umount (unmount the file systems, remount read-only) <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><Alt><SysRq>-b -- reboot<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

Always follow the sequence in the order given.

Ok, how do I check to see if the RAM is ok in Linux?. In WinME, I would simply go to "SYSTEM>DEVICES>RAM" -or- watch the RAM be counted while WinMe was booting up. I'm assuming if it say's "256M RAM" (the amount I currently have) , that everything is working ok(?)

Well, sometimes it requires test equipment. A common test if you have multiple sticks (for example if your 256M is made up of two 128M sticks) is to try to physically switch the position of the sticks. For example, if it is now slot A - stick 1, slot B - stick 2 -- change it to slot A -- stick 2, slot B -- stick one.

Many times, that will clear it up.

Again, if you have two sticks, you might try temporarily removing one of them (following all appropriate static guarding procedures) and seeing what happens if you boot with only 128M.... and then do the same with the other stick.

Guest greeneggs
Ok, how do I check to see if the RAM is ok in Linux?

Use the command

cat /proc/meminfo

Here it is...

[teddy@localhost teddy]$ cat /proc/meminfo

total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:

Mem: 253931520 195465216 58466304 0 12492800 101953536

Swap: 518152192 0 518152192

MemTotal: 247980 kB

MemFree: 57096 kB

MemShared: 0 kB

Buffers: 12200 kB

Cached: 99564 kB

SwapCached: 0 kB

Active: 48608 kB

Inactive: 123952 kB

HighTotal: 0 kB

HighFree: 0 kB

LowTotal: 247980 kB

LowFree: 57096 kB

SwapTotal: 506008 kB

SwapFree: 506008 kB

[teddy@localhost teddy]$

Your available memory is 253931520 bytes = 242.16796875 MB. Obviously, ur trident integrated video is stealing atleast 8MB system RAM. Another 6 MB is taken up by the kernel and other stuff. So u have 256MB = 8MB (video) + 6MB (kernel+stuff) + 242MB available

So linux is surely detecting all ur system RAM.

Two things.

1) Download a 'nix program called memtest86. It will run a continuous program and it will find a problem if one exists. RAM showing up in detect will only error if the first or last chip on the card is the problem. You need a test program to really tell if it is ram. Or lots of ram to switch out. :lol: www.memtest86.com

2) Power supplies under stress are not the only issue. It is also a case of how clean or "regulated" the power is that is being produced. Let's call it poor quality power, which changes and is "dirty". This is actually more common in bad power supplies than simply stressing under use.