How to create a second ppp connection

Guest mandrake

Guest mandrake

I think this reply :

:idea:

" And yes, no matter how many different ISPs you connect to, they are all done exclusively, and therefore each of them will use ppp0. ppp1 would only be used if you were using a second modem simultaneously. ppp0 is referring to a process started by the ppp-daemon, not a particular device."

is the answer I've been searching for but didn't know how to ask.

I double checked this by creating and deleting a number of different ppp connections. Without exception, all of them with the name ppp0 worked, all of them with ppp1 or higher didn't work. Activating the ones with ppp1 or higher was of no consequence. I guess then that the only way to dial out to 2 or more locations at different times when you only have one modem is to edit the ppp0 connection each time you get ready to use it. If someone has a better solution, please post it, as this seems like it might be quite a short-coming for using linux. Thanks to everyone for all the input and suggestions. This seems like a great place to come learn. :D

Guest mandrake

Also, to clear up any confusion, I was trying to use ppp0 and ppp1 connections at different times, not at the same time. I thought that would be straight forward since I only have one modem / one phone line on my computer.

If I was using windows and had only one modem on my computer, then what I wanted to do would be similar to creating several dial-up networking connections for different things, one for the internet, one to dial into my work computer, one to do whatever else with. I could only use one at a time, but I could use any one that I wanted to anytime I was ready. It looks like in linux, if you only have one modem, you can only have a single ppp connection in existance. :)

You can have as many different choices in connections as you want. You just need to assign them with the connection app of your choice.

Or, you can run through the ppp HOWTO, and write your own scripts.

From what I remember, if you activate ppp0 interface, the modem will start dialing.
That's why I've always thought the "Do you want to activate this connection" was silly....because it's never dialed my modem :?: :roll: :wink: (it's not a winmodem either)

Well, I used to dial in from my old MDK 6.1 laptop (linuxconf 1.16), no prob... That was a very polished distro, though :)

IIRC, I did this somewhere aruond Mandrake 7.2. IIRC (I am sure I saved the configs, but can't locate them now), all you had to do was edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp1 and ensure that DEVICE was set to ppp0 (not ppp1!).

(It may have been necessary to modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets also).

Then, when you 'ifup ppp1', it would dial the 2nd ISP, but bring up ppp0 connected to the 2nd ISP.

I actually used this in combination with mserver, which allowed clients (remote windows/linux etc) to choose which ISP to dial in to.

Guest mandrake

I finally got it going.

Here's what I did. I went here :

http://rpmseek.com

and I downloaded this:

kdenetwork-kppp-3.1-31mdk.i586.rpm

about 640k, just a couple of minutes..

Installed it and had 3 unique kppp connections setup and all tested on ppp0 and with good working results on all in about 15 minutes. The thing I really like about this is you can run kppp from blackbox icewm or anywhere else - you don't have to actually use KDE....Wnen I dial out now, I merely start kppp, then select the connection number I want to dial when the selector dialog pops up.....nothing could be easier.

wvdial also has this capability. You just put a different heading in your wvdial. conf file. You can have a [default], a [phone2], a [myreally coolnumber], or a [whateverthehelliwannacallit] and dial either with

wvdial

(dials the default)

wvdial whateverthehelliwannacallit

(dials the config under that heading)

but if you like kppp the way it is working, then that's the way to go.