How to create a second ppp connection

Guest mandrake

Guest mandrake

:?:

Installed Mandrake 9.1 lastnight. Created a dial up connection to internet at the end of installation. That connection works fine. I do an 'su' to root, and do an ifup ppp0 and the modem dials out and connects me just fine. I want to create another ppp connection to another isp. I start linuxconf, click on Networking, then click on PPP / SLIP / PLIP button. A small windows opens that shows my single ppp0 connection in the list. I click on the ADD button, create a new connection and setup my new connection with the new number, username, password using the same device that ppp0 uses, /dev/modem.

I close the windows and save the connection. Now I have two entries in the connection list, ppp0 and ppp1. When I try to do ifup ppp1 it immediately fails on error 8. It never even attempts to dial or even check for a modem. I have an external modem with activity lights on the front and they never even flicker. What is the correct way to setup a second ppp connection. Did I miss any steps ? Can I do it manually another way?

Guest mandrake

:oops: when I try to connect in netmonitor, nothing happens, same thing when I try to connect in linuxconf. When I try from the command line, I get :

"Failed to Activate ppp1 with error 8"

From man pppd

error

8      The connect script failed (returned a non-zero exit status).
Go back and edit the config to use ppp0. Unless you have more than one modem and phone line there's no reason to have a ppp1 anyway.

Do you have a

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0

and

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp1

?

If you have only one modem, it's unlikely ppp1 will work along with ppp0. Not sure about MDK 9.1, but in older versions of KDE, you could use kppp to setup different accounts. The accounts would use the same ppp0 interface, but you tell kppp to use different settings for different ISPs.

:arrow:  Yes, different telephone numbers, different username and different password

Actually, I should clarify, either for you, or for others that might just be browsing.

What I meant to say is "does each modem have its own telephone line with a distinct telephone number?" From your reply, it kind of sounds like you thought I was asking if the two different ISPs had different phone numbers.

Guest mandrake

:shock: Sorry, I only have one modem and one phone line connected to my computer. I am trying to use the same modem and phone line to reach 2 different isp's. So should both connections be named ppp0 ? Since I only have one modem, I though both connections being assigned /dev/modem would work but is ppp0 actually refering to a device ?

Guest mandrake

"Do you have a

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0

and

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp1

?"

Yes, I have both and their output is very similar....

Also, I'm using Blackbox, not KDE - so am using mostly linuxconf, netconf and the command line for configuration. About not having a ppp1, wouldn't I have to edit the phone number in the connection each time I needed to connect to the other isp with only a ppp0, or are you saying I should have 2 ppp0 connections, each with different numbers to dial.....

reminder, I have only one modem and one phone line. I am trying to dial out to two different numbers using the same modem....

Well I know in linuxconf>Control tab>Control Panel>ControlPPP/SLIP/PLIP links, if you clink on ppp1 it'll ask if you want to activate the network link. If this hasn't been done with ppp1, that could be the prob. I don't know if you can have 2 different pppx's active at one time or if this even works for your what you're trying to do. I'd suggest using wvdial if your not using kppp because you don't want to drain resources starting the kde-libs.

Read

man dialout

:shock: Sorry, I only have one modem and one phone line connected to my computer. I am trying to use the same modem and phone line to reach 2 different isp's.  So should both connections be named ppp0  ?  Since I only have one modem, I though both connections being assigned /dev/modem would work but is ppp0 actually refering to a device ?

Sorry, I misinterpreted your " I have an external modem with activity lights on the front and they never even flicker" to mean that you were using an onboard modem for ppp0, and that you were using ppp1 on the external. I think it was the "they never even flicker" part that got me :/

And yes, no matter how many different ISPs you connect to, they are all done exclusively, and therefore each of them will use ppp0. ppp1 would only be used if you were using a second modem simultaneously. ppp0 is referring to a process started by the ppp-daemon, not a particular device.

in linuxconf>Control tab>Control Panel>ControlPPP/SLIP/PLIP links, if you clink on ppp1 it'll ask if you want to activate the network link. If this hasn't been done with ppp1, that could be the prob. I don't know if you can have 2 different pppx's active at one time or if this even works for your what you're trying to do.

From what I remember, if you activate ppp0 interface, the modem will start dialing. Therefore, if the line is busy, an attempt to activate another ppp interface won't do any good. You can try to create two ppp interfaces, one for each ISP, but you'll have only one active at a time.

From what I remember, if you activate ppp0 interface, the modem will start dialing.
That's why I've always thought the "Do you want to activate this connection" was silly....because it's never dialed my modem :?: :roll: :wink: (it's not a winmodem either)