FAQ Submission

Cannonfodder

• 5 months later...

Hi there

I think someone should be updating this FAQ post http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=kaffe to make sure the links are working. I couldn't find this link: ftp://www.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Commercia...6-1mdk.i586.rpm as mentioned in the post. Instead I found the above mentioned rpm in the location shown below.

ftp://213.232.94.69/pub/Misc/j2re-1.3.1_0...6-1mdk.i586.rpm

Please confirm if that is the right file to download

another update for that FAQ:

Straight from Mozilla Web Site:

On Linux, Mozilla requires JRE 1.4.2 or later.

Mozilla 1.4 and later, and Mozilla Firebird, are compiled with gcc 3.2.3. A gcc 3.x compatible version of the Java plugin must be used. JRE 1.4.2 contains a compatible plugin.

If you installed the JRE 1.4.2_01 RPM, this plugin is /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so - and to install it for Mozilla (including Mozilla Firebird), do the following:

* Open a terminal

* Change to your Mozilla (or Mozilla Firebird) plugins directory

* Issue the following command: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

If you are using an older Linux distribution, you may need to install the gcc3 support libraries, as the gcc 3.2 version of the Java plugin requires libgcc_s.so.1 to operate. You may be able to find packages using Google.

If you are using an old or unofficial build of Mozilla (1.4a or later) or Mozilla Firebird, you can check which compiler was used by entering about:buildconfig in the location bar and pressing enter. You will see a line such as "gcc version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)", which will show the compiler that was used. If gcc2.9x was used, you need to use the ns610 plugin, not the ns610-gcc32 plugin.

hope that helps. I am about to install JRE 1.4 as 1.3 has no use for my Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla browsers. Correct me if there is an other option to get Java working with JRE 1.3.

I tested it and it only works on Konqueror browser... but not on the latest MozillaFirebird browser 0.6.1

Jeffery

• 1 month later...

About the FAQ about the command line:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4463

I think 1 thing is missing, namely how to create a file (I'm referring to the command "touch", don't know if it has any options with it).

Maybe not a big deal, but I spent a long time looking for a way to do this from a CLI, most tutorials just go with the copy/move/... stuff and never mention touch.

Anyway, I think it would be good to put it in for sake of completeness.

Darkelve

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess they are GPL as we don't have a proper license set up and most Linux stuff and manuals and howtos are GPL'd anyway. After all, copying them wouldn't hurt anyone, would it?

Just my two cents.