How to use SopCast under Mandriva?

zibi1981

Guest M.Newbie
I've made a sopcast-0.4-3 mdv'g' rpm if you would like to try it out. It works on both of my systems using Mandriva 2008. It works with both the plf mplayer and vlc. If you would like to try it, please post here and I will attach it to a pm for you.

Hi Greg,

Can you post this rpm somewhere? Or, can I get a copy from you? Many thanks.

Guest cmiranda
Hi Greg,

Can you post this rpm somewhere? Or, can I get a copy from you? Many thanks.

Hi Greg

I agree with M.Newbie, could you post it somewhere? Can you send me a copy if it´s posible?

Thanks

The board currently does not have any warnings or disclaimer for this that are posted for the members to view. I don't have the board attachment space to put up a src rpm and remain 'completely' compliant with the GPL. That said, I will attach it to a pm for all of you to use. This way it only makes me responsible for it. :rolleyes:

Please note that this was just an exercise to improve my rpm packaging skills, and has only been tested with Mandriva 2008.

Hopefully before midsummer (in the US), I will have something better worked out for custom rpms. :)

Guest M.Newbie

Thank-you, Greg. Now can someone tell me what to do after it is installed? I tried clicking on a game in progress, but I received the message: Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (sop) is associated with any program.

I also tried running it from a console, and inserting the URL into VLC.

Now can someone tell me what to do after it is installed?

I've never used sopcast, until I made this for zibi1981, and that was just to test it.

I believe that you have to register at sopcast for most of this to work properly. Then add that info to the Config tab. You also need to make sure that your firewall is not blocking the local and player ports, then set up your preferred player and browser on the same tab.

Sorry, but that's my complete knowledge base for this. :)

If you just need something for Internet TV, miro is in the repos. If you need P2P, gtk-gnutella and apollon (client for giFT) are also in the PLF repos.

Guest M.Newbie

I hate to ask this, Greg2, but my question is much more basic. I have downloaded and "installed" it, but I cannot find it on my drive to play with it - at all.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but because our current guidelines do not cover this and I appear to be the only one interested, I've decided not to distribute any more rpms on this forum.

I'm currently working on some software projects, and a place to distribute them properly. I should have that set up by mid-August. I will leave a message here when it's completed.

Thank you. :)