no dev tools come with live cd?

I hope someone can help me! I am an experience linux user. I started with redhat 5.2 in the late 90's. I moved to Mandrake as other distros had severe problems with stability on my newer and linux unfriendly laptop. Mandrake live cd got ALL my drivers on the install. wow.

Problem is, it didn't ship with make, or any dev tools! I need to build from source. I tried all kinds of directions online, countless rpms. The basic C libraries have a little 'lock' on them in the package manager. When i use urpmi or download them, they install but I still get errors like 'no kernel headers'.

Please tell me where to get all the packages for a dev environment for Mandrake live cd 2008. And is there some trick to getting them installed? I have done all I have done for years, and its just not working.

thanks!

Linux shipping w.o make kind of creeps me out! And I did try the full MDK 2008 dvd install, and it crashed over and over. It would not install cleanly on my machine.

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Devel tools are a must for a running system, but for a live CD they are rather an oddity... usually gcc and GNU Make are omitted to save valuable CD space.

But once the system is installed to HD, they are only an

su -c "urpmi gcc make"

away.

For the kernel-source problem, simply

urpmi kernel-laptop-latest kernel-laptop-devel-latest

After that, touching your Grub's menu.lst so that the newly installed kernel is the default and rebooting should be enough for most compiling tasks (the ones which need just kernel headers and not full source)- still if something is missing while compiling complex kernel modules (or rolling a custom kernel) then

urpmi kernel-source-latest

Edited by scarecrow

yeah I tried those exact steps, still getting errors like this on compile attempts

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom) does not match

your running kernel (version 2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv). Even if the module

were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

thanks much for the help, though.

Edited by mandark

For VMWare you have to use the latest any-any patch from Petr.

http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

It's needed in most distros witrh fresh kernels, not just Mandriva.

As for not being able to build anything, I have no great RECENT experience with Mandriva, as I'm an Archer since more than three and a half years ago (I only use the devel Cooker branch, and that only on a virtual machine, not a real one...), but I had no problems building a few kernel modules on Cooker (including the vmware client tools ones!).