Bootsplash not shown [solved]

edwardp

I installed Mandriva 2008, everything went well, except that the bootsplash does not appear.

I posted some info in an old thread, but I am not sure if that was the correct place to post the info.

Both bootsplash and bootsplash-themes are installed according to the Control Center software information.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Edward

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by edwardp

for me bootsplash only works if I set the size of the splash screen to 800x600, if I set it to a higher resolution it does not work

Although you say the boot themes are installed you don't say what theme has been selected in the boot section of mcc. Maybe you have text only selected, or am I missing the point?

"Set up boot graphical theme of system" shows:

Graphical boot mode: silent

Theme: Mandriva-One

Display theme under console - is checked.

When the system boots, once past GRUB (which correctly displays the graphical menu), the yellow Mandriva star appears in a white circle at the top of the screen, then as everything loads in, it lists everything down the screen in text mode, the screen background is black. Once the font is loaded in, the Mandriva star and circle disappear. The same text screen is displayed during shutdown, except the Mandriva star/circle are not displayed. Monitor resolution is set to 1024x768.

Currently, /boot/grub/menu.lst is:

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop586 BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-desktop586.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title desktop586 2.6.22.12-1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop586_2.6.22.12-1 root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv.img

Edited by edwardp

Maybe you should try

vga=776

for me it only works in this resolution setting, everything else leads to a boot as you described (no bootsplash, console/boot messages rolling by)

vga=776

made it worse. The console messages continued to display, but the letters were much wider. Once the font loaded in, the text appeared in a more normal size.

After login, I went back into the Control Center and ran "Set up boot graphical theme of system" again, using the settings as they were displayed.

/boot/grub/menu.lst now shows

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop586 BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-desktop586.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title desktop586 2.6.22.12-1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop586_2.6.22.12-1 root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv.img

which looks the same as the original.

Upon the first reboot of the system after this, the splash screen appeared. I am going to monitor this, before marking the subject resolved.

vga=776

made it worse. The console messages continued to display, but the letters were much wider. Once the font loaded in, the text appeared in a more normal size.

The item vga=xxx sets the resolution from the framebuffer (which is used to display graphics until X has staretd). The table at the bottom of this page in Gentoo's wiki shows what the numbers mean (in hexadecimal; 0x317 is 3*16*16+16+7=791, i.e. 1024x768x16 bit colour).

• 2 weeks later...