Problems playing audio streams

camorri

I'm running Mandriva 2007 spring edition. I have been a long time user of XMMS, and for the most part it has worked well, until 2007.1. For some reason I have not been able to define, if I launch a .pls file from shoutcast with XMMS, it takes about 30 seconds or more to start playing. On older versions, it took less than 10 seconds.

So I did a little research, and it appears XMMS is no longer in development, so I guess no one is fixing and problems with it. With this information, I looked around for an alternative. Audacious seems to be one program recommended. I installed it using urpmi. It will play .mp3 or .ogg files from my system, but I can not get it to play anything from shoutcast. I have tried a lot of different things. I did look to see what plugins were installed, but became confused as to what I need to play a audio stream. There is a long list of installed, and enabled plugins.

What I would like is one program to play .mp3's, .ogg, audio streams, and CD's Asking too much? ( Without the long startup I get with XMMS ). BTW, I also tried XMMS2, but can't get it to play an audio stream at all.

I tried Amarok, it gave me more problems than XMMS, so I removed it. I have been able to get Audacious to play shoutcast streams, but it is a pain to get to work. XMMS only requires you to click on a .pls file saved from the shoutcast web page, and a minute or so later, it connects. Audacious, I have to go to the playlist, click on the stream I want, and poke the play button. Nothing else I have found will work. It does connect to the stream in just a few seconds though. That is a big improvment over XMMS. So I guess for now I'll go with Audacious.