Ubuntu Hardy Heron Theme - New theme idea

Artificial Intelligence

the brown they use is a bit too chocolaty for me...it makes me feel like i should be eating my screen. Aside from that I like the look, but I'd personally go with a color that doesn't look like it came out of a foil wrapper ;) - the baige [sic?] scheme on the other hand looks like something i might prefer.

It's still on drawing table, so I guess there'll be changes. I dunno about the color - It have always been Ubuntu brand the brown/orange. Yes it looks eatable :D

What I really like is the menu system - looks awesome.

I dunno about the color - It have always been Ubuntu brand the brown/orange.
Yeah, but for some reason looking at these theme the brown just really sticks out and looks so much like chocolate my sweet tooth is aching. I guess in previous versions it wasn't so...brown...or perhaps a different shade...or maybe I just never noticed ;)
What I really like is the menu system - looks awesome.
Definitely.

Is the menu so much different from current gnome menu? Apart from the rounded corners and a bit of transparency?

What impressed me was the way they talk about the underlying meaning behind the colours and "materials" - I've never heard these discussed in this depth:

Tans and Beige colours are for areas that contain content or are unimportant - as they do not distract the eye. Browns and Chocolate are for elements farther away from content, contain important content, or selected widgets. Orange colours are for active widgets to show either what you are interacting with, or what option you have selected.

Glossy items contain options that are non-dangerous/pre-made, polished tools, usually only containing things you can easily undo. Plastic surfaces will contain anything that we can't guarantee is safe.

They're really making an effort to produce a simple, unified set of ideas behind it. :thumbs:

And yay for scalable svg goodness, I had only heard about that with regards to KDE4, I hadn't heard any gnome references.

I still don't look it. Way too much saturation for my tastes (the only ubuntu-theme was acceptable for me was the old 4.10 human-theme design) and too hard to use for people who have problems with their sight (especially elder people who tend to have difficulties with "low contrast" themes).

too hard to use for people who have problems with their sight (especially elder people who tend to have difficulties with "low contrast" themes).
Well, it's pretty much given that those users are going to change to one of the other themes that are made for their use (you know, those crazy, big-letter, high contrast themes that come default with GNOME). Although, I also agree what I'd prefer, at the very least, font colors that "pop out" a bit more.

Of course there are high contrast themes available. My experience is however that most "average users" of computers don't know how to change the look of a desktop. (This applies to many people I met that use Linux, Windows and Mac) Thus a "suits everyone well" theme is more favourable as default theme. But that's just my opinion.

I've heard rumor on the forum board that the theme will have the "choose diffrent color" option on the default Ubuntu 8.04 theme. So if you want it in blue/green/black you go in the color tab in theme and change it to the color you want.

I like the theme as it is now, especially the menu looks very good.

For the chocolate color, it looks definitely tasty, but it could lead to frustrations when you realize that you can't eat your screen :D