DVD ISO download stalls at 3.99 gigs? [solved]

Paul Goelz

Happened twice from two different mirrors. Download goes great until 3.99 gigs and then it stops dead in its tracks with zero data flow.

And I had a third download attempt that was about 200+ megs total (it finished) even though it said it was the 4.2GB DVD ISO. Is there a connection?

Do I need to know a secret handshake?

Maybe I won't upgrade my MDV 2007 after all.

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz

Hi,

Are you using a download controller, as in one that allows files transfers to be stopped and started with out any faults occuring? Sometimes if you use the download section of your browser it can do what you have mentioned. In windows I used to use leechget ( i think thats how its spelt) Im not sure what program you can use if your using Linux already, I think linux browsers offer a good download controller anyway.

If you still have trouble someone local to you maybe kind enough to post you a copy anyways, I had the very nice Aussiejohn send me my copy of 2008. Im in Australia obviously.

I think Neddie has hit the nail on the head on this one.

The clue is that it stops each time at 3.9gb and as far as I know Windows and fat32 is about the only thing with such a limit.

If it was a case of a partition filling up then there would be other difficulties surfacing and requiring the download to be removed to enable resumption of operation of the machine.

Cheers. John.

Sorry, that isn't it. I too thought the 3.99 mark was significant but I am saving in WinXP using IE7 to an NTFS 20GB partition that has maybe 12GB free. And I am pretty sure I have saved a DVD image before at least once.

No I am not using a download manager. I am downloading in Windows using IE7. I suppose I could try it in PCLinuxOS using Firefox (I don't have wireless running in MDV yet). Can I assume that burning a DVD ISO is easy under Linux? I use Nero in Windows.

BTW, what's up with the Mandriva mirrors on the MDV download page? They are identified by location and URL but there isn't enough information to figure out what you are actually downloading until the download begins.... it seems to be pot luck whether you get CD or DVD ISOs. The only place I found where you could actually choose was the link you get after the download starts:

Your download should begin shortly. If you are experiencing problems, follow this link: ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra...cial/iso/2008.0

I also thought it was odd that nowhere on the MDV site does it explain the differences between MDV One and MDV Free. I had to Google and found a Wiki that laid it out very well.... and pointed back to the MDV site for download. It is important because A) I want to do an upgrade and I don't think you can do that from One and B) One doesn't even boot on my system for some reason. I get "Loading Linux" and then a blank screen.

EDIT: Needed to set ACPI=OFF. Then it boots OK.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz

Firefox has problems downloading files over 2GB from what I remember. If you're doing it in Linux, it's best to do it with wget, or some other method like via FTP app or similar.

wget -c http://path_to_iso/directory/whatever.iso

will do the trick. The -c means if it stops part way through, you can just rerun the command and it'll continue where it left off.

And try downloading it from FTP. Some older http server revisions (incl. Apache) don't serve files >4G properly.

Now you tell me!

Actually, that is something to try. I'm pretty sure I did use an FTP link last night but did it via IE7 and it stalled. Tonight I'll try it with an FTP client and see what happens. Do you by chance have a link to a mirror that has a properly working server? Since it stalls at the 3.99GB mark, it wastes the better part of a couple hours (average 600-700KB/s on Comcast) every time I try it. Or are you saying that this isn't an issue if I use an FTP client?

Don't the admins realize things aren't working right? I didn't see any other posts on this......

Paul

That's why I suggested using the wget with parameter -c. That way, it doesn't matter what mirror you connect to, you can always continue where it left off if it failed for you! Chances are though, wget wouldn't fail. I've never had problems with it, but that doesn't mean nobody would experience an issue.

If you have a Linux install, maybe try this. K3B will burn it perfectly fine once the ISO has been downloaded, or even Gnome CD Master, GnomeBaker, etc.

Paul.

Please can I make one thing clear to you.

Mandrivausers.org is NOT, repeat NOT, part of the company called Mandriva.

Your tone although still restrained is getting close to tipping over.

Everyone here at MUB is a volunteer and gives their time freely.

We all can relate to your frustrations since we have all been there ourselves.

So far none of your problems seem to come from Mandriva.

Take it easy, remember you are mostly trying to do this from Windows and we all know that Windows does not play nice with anything it doesn't approve of and it doesn't approve of people trying to download large iso's which knows will likely be an opposition OS. :D :D

Cheers. John.

That's why I suggested using the wget with parameter -c. That way, it doesn't matter what mirror you connect to, you can always continue where it left off if it failed for you! Chances are though, wget wouldn't fail. I've never had problems with it, but that doesn't mean nobody would experience an issue.

If you have a Linux install, maybe try this. K3B will burn it perfectly fine once the ISO has been downloaded, or even Gnome CD Master, GnomeBaker, etc.

OK, I'm finally upgrading. It was quite a struggle!

1. There does indeed seem to be some sort of issue with HTTP downloads of >4GB files from the mirrors under WinXP / IE7.

2. There is also an issue with older FTP clients like I was using (WS_FTP). It displayed the file size of the DVD ISO as about 200MB.

3. KTorrent in PCLinuxOS froze my PC twice trying to download from the torrent link on the MDV download page. I finally gave up.

4. I tried an FTP client in PCLinuxOS (don't remember which one) and couldn't figure out how to download with it. Can you say "non-intuitive"?

5. I finally downloaded a free FTP client in XP and successfully downloaded and burned a DVD.

6. The DVD would boot but froze with a blank screen after "loading Linux". Setting ACPI to OFF allowed it to boot and it is upgrading as I type. Estimated completion is "18:03". At the speed it is progressing, that looks to be 18 hours, not minutes. Egad! I'll let it run over night I guess. A clean install would have been a MUCH better idea I think. Too bad it didn't tell me that up front..... I hope we don't lose power overnight ;)

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz

OK, I'm finally upgrading. It was quite a struggle!

1. There does indeed seem to be some sort of issue with HTTP downloads of >4GB files from the mirrors under WinXP / IE7.

Write to Microsoft and complain about Windows XP and IE7.

2. There is also an issue with older FTP clients like I was using (WS_FTP). It displayed the file size of the DVD ISO as about 200MB.

Use a newer client - try filezilla - it's a Windows client and much nicer than WSFTP. Maybe the fact you use an old client is the reason why you're having so many problems.

3. KTorrent in PCLinuxOS froze my PC twice trying to download from the torrent link on the MDV download page. I finally gave up.

Try azureus, maybe it'll work better.

4. I tried an FTP client in PCLinuxOS (don't remember which one) and couldn't figure out how to download with it. Can you say "non-intuitive"?

Hmm, you don't mention which one. I tend to use gftp and it's perfectly fine and easy to use. No idea what you had. However, opening a console window like I suggested (which obviously was ignored since you never tried it) and typing wget -c url_here would have worked for you. But never mind, we can only try and help. If you don't listen and take our advice no wonder you're still having so many problems.

5. I finally downloaded a free FTP client in XP and successfully downloaded and burned a DVD.

Great, this finally solved your problem using a little initiative than struggling with older FTP clients or not trying anything we suggested.

6. The DVD would boot but froze with a blank screen after "loading Linux". Setting ACPI to OFF allowed it to boot and it is upgrading as I type. Estimated completion is "18:03". At the speed it is progressing, that looks to be 18 hours, not minutes. Egad! I'll let it run over night I guess. A clean install would have been a MUCH better idea I think. Too bad it didn't tell me that up front..... I hope we don't lose power overnight ;)

Paul

Why would you expect an installation to recommend a clean install or an upgrade to you? That's why you have a brain to decide what you think is best. Or are you expecting full automation with everything you do?

Am I being to harsh here? Maybe, but then everything we suggested seems to have been ignored - as that is what we see from your replies of continual problems and no progress.

Glad you finally got the ISO downloaded and working. Glad you're doing the upgrade, shame it's taking so long. Maybe you have a bad install on your machine or it's slow. Upgrades can take longer, certainly more than a clean install. I know, I've tried it.

As John said, we are nothing to do with Mandriva, but you'd be better losing the attitude and bitching about problems when it seems like everything we have suggested has been ignored. That kind of attitude in posts will cause people to ignore you and not want to help.

Just a little advice for ya :D

As John said, we are nothing to do with Mandriva, but you'd be better losing the attitude and bitching about problems when it seems like everything we have suggested has been ignored. That kind of attitude in posts will cause people to ignore you and not want to help.

Just a little advice for ya :D

At the risk of losing your support altogether...... what attitude? Ignoring what advice? I am upgrading now BECAUSE of your (and John's) advice. And I thank you for it. The only thing I really "ignored" was your advice to use the command line. That seemed overly difficult since the URL I would have to type was VERY long. Much easier to use something where I could type in the server and then navigate from there. That and I didn't have a whole lot extra HD space on my other Linux install. Easier in the long run to use Windows where I have plenty to spare. I would never have guessed that these days there are problems with >4GB files in Windows with current (as in IE) software. WS_FTP I can understand.

Bitching? Perhaps. It was my apparently mistaken notion that Linux people cared about the difficulties people have using it. I will refrain in the future. I am trying to make the transition from Windows to Linux. I have no issues whatsoever with XP other than security (and that is major) but I like the concept of Linux. I have tried several flavors and Mandriva is my current second best choice. If I can get 2008 running it might become my first choice. Some of the problems could be called cockpit error. And some are not.

I might add that so far the upgrade has not gone well. I woke up to find that it had stopped with an error on one package. I told it to skip that package and it continued for a while but it stopped again and appeared to be frozen. The install progress screen was blank with no response to any keyboard input but the mouse was still alive. I finally hit RESET, booted PCLinuxOS (which recovered some orphaned sections on the HD) and checked to make sure the HD wasn't full. It wasn't. So I decided to try the upgrade again. It is running now. If that fails, I'll do a clean install since I don't really have anything I truly have to save on that install. Not bitching..... just a report. THis is a learning experience for me. And user feedback to the devs if they read this forum. Go ahead and dismiss it as "oh, another dumbass user" if you wish. But this is feedback from the field from a somewhat computer savvy user who doesn't know Linux very well yet. And is trying.

Respectfully,

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz

I'd suggest a clean install. Upgrades from one release to another usually go OK. But from two releases back or more, you'll expect more problems. I'm unsure of whether you had 2007.0 or 2007.1 Spring.

You can copy and paste a url to the command line by the way. It does support this :)

For me, this whole experience is an experiment. I understand that an upgrade of an "older" installation might not go too well and I don't have a lot to lose if the upgrade goes bad. I might even do a clean install later "just because".

My existing Mandriva install started out as 2007.0, and that is what it reports as it boots. I honestly can't remember if I ever upgraded it, but I don't think so. I did update it from the repositories though. Not sure if that makes it "spring" or not ;)

As for cutting and pasting..... I have tried that in the past and it didn't seem to work. At least not cutting from a window and pasting to the command line using <ctl>C, <ctl>V shortcuts. ??

Please take what you see as "bitching" as what it really is..... feedback from the trenches. I am doing my best to understand and adapt, but there are several key areas where I think the "Linux experience" could be significantly improved. Any negative comments are of course not aimed at you..... just feedback to whoever might be reading.

I had to leave for work with the PC still upgrading (second try).... let's see what awaits me when I return home this evening ;) If the second try isn't successful, I'll opt for a clean install.

Paul