no screensaver [solved]

Kieth

Hello again,

It's been a couple of years since my screensaver has worked. The screen just goes blank. I last asked about it with the Mandriva 2007 installation ( screensaver ). I would like to get it to work now, if at all possible. I do not care if I use opengl screensavers or not. In fact, I don't think I have any installed. The only opengl packages I found on my system are:

[root@localhost kieth]# urpme opengl

The following packages contain opengl: python-opengl-2.0.1.09-7mdv2007.1.i586 libqtopengl4-4.3.1-12mdv2008.0.i586

From that last post (October 2006), here is some of the information that ian asked for.

[root@localhost kieth]# glxinfo | grep direct

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4c

direct rendering: Yes

[root@localhost kieth]# urpmi mesa-demos

Package mesa-demos-7.0.1-10mdv2008.0.i586 is already installed

[root@localhost kieth]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv #1 SMP Tue Nov 20 08:09:17 EST 2007 i686 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux

Since the "direct rendering" is now yes, I was hoping that I would be able to get everything working. My graphics card is still the same as last year, which is, according to the MCC:

Identification

Vendor: ‎ATI Technologies Inc

Description: ‎RV280 [Radeon 9200]

Before writing this, I also tried putting the following in kdesktoprc, as cebo mentioned, but still no luck:

DPMS-dependent=false

in the screensaver section of ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc then it was fixed. Maybe this will help you too.

Also, since I thought the DPMS-dependent=false might be a "typo", I put "DKMS. . ." instead. Still no luck.

Any idea on how I can resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Kieth

Edited by Kieth

don't know if this helps but the screensavers are in the following packages:

kdeartwork-screensavers

kdeartwork-screensavers-gl (screensavers using openGL)

these were the KDE-Packages

for Gnome the packages:

xscreensaver

xscreensaver-gl

should be the right ones, possibly there are more

the standard Mandriva Slideshow Screensaver is named Krozat (it is a package of its own)

Edited by lavaeolus

Thanks for the reply. I had those files. I then added the kde4 files, in hopes that that would help, but no, no change. Then I went back to /.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc and changed DKMS back to DPMS, AND IT WORKED!!!! :bounce8: :bounce8: Finally, after 2 years I have a screensaver!! Thank you, thank you.

Kieth