A little help with engage

Guest LatinPrince

Guest LatinPrince

Hello everyone.

I've decided to give Linux a go (I've used Windows for years). I installed 5 different distros over the course of the past 2 days to really get a feel over each one and see which I would like best, I think Mandriva is the one I'm most comfortable with.

Onto my problem sorry for my blabbering, I've installed the distro (Mandriva One 2008), completely updated via the software management program and then continued to install my favorite programs which I noticed alot are already in the add/remove program utility (very nice). One I can't get installed for the life of me is engage (engage is a e17 "apple like" dock). I did manage to install like 20 dependancies that it required but when I exhausted all the possible dependencies and had them all installed I got this little message:

Sorry the following package cannot be selected:

-engage-0.0.9-0.20060323.1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libecore_dbus.so.1)

Another note I'm not running this under enlightenment or "e17" I prefer to keep kde and just install and use the dock, e17 is still quite buggy at best.

If anyone with more Linux or Mandriva expierence can help me out I'd very much appreciate it.

~ Thanks :)

Guest LatinPrince

Thank you Tyme,

I really wanted to avoid installing the full package as I tried last night when I tried Ubuntu (which btw isn't very user friendly if you've never touched Linux contrary to popular belief) e17 caused the system to crash alot even after I switched back to Gnome. I'll give that a go and edit this post with my findings, thanks again.

well, e17 still isn't considered stable - although I have used it and it is, in fact, usable - a lot of it's pieces still have their little issues and will crash from time to time. perhaps instead of engage you can try something like avant window navigator: https://launchpad.net/awn - I use this in GNOME and it's quite nice, I'm not sure if it works well in KDE but I imagine it does just fine.

• 4 months later...

I had supreme issues with Avant Windows Navigator using kde, it really sucked. Very buggy with 2008, slow, and generally difficult. Looks cool though... In 2008.1 avant windows navigator is being toted as a dockbar solution, so I guess that build is better, though I haven't tried it yet. It was originally designed for gnome. Haven't had great success with kde for dockbars. I use wbar, and though fast it's not perfect. Good luck.

I had supreme issues with Avant Windows Navigator using kde, it really sucked. Very buggy with 2008, slow, and generally difficult. Looks cool though... In 2008.1 avant windows navigator is being toted as a dockbar solution, so I guess that build is better, though I haven't tried it yet. It was originally designed for gnome. Haven't had great success with kde for dockbars. I use wbar, and though fast it's not perfect. Good luck.

Actually, it was Cairo-Dock that was disastrous under kde... even though it looked really cool. Also relies on Compiz-Fusion, or some other compositing solution installed to actually work. Previously I don't think Avant Windows Navigator has not been in the Mandriva repos, though now it is there in full glory. Found and installed it for 2008, kde. It sucks. Can only be used as a dock on the bottom of the screen, and wouldn't let me install any additional programs. Gave up and will uninstall it. I think gnome would work beautifully with it, but I don't recommend using it with kde. Can anyone tell me if 2008.1 works better in kde with AWN? Is it designed for gnome or xfce? Good luck.