problem installing mandrake 9.1 [solved]

-OLI-

Hi everybody

This is the first time I install Linux (never used it before either) And I'm trying to install it on a hp pavilion a700n (its factory stock but for the ati radeon x1650 and some more RAM) using Mandrake 9.1

I want Linux because microsoft is pissing me off and I'm through supporting their hegemonia and their doubtful privacy agreement. Anyway, I've installed Linux allright, but when its about to start, it asks me the localhost login, then when I try to type in the password, it won't write anything and freezes on a command prompt.

Should I just install the version 10.0?

And BTW, can Linux run Steam games?

Thanks in advance

Hi OLI,

welcome to Mandrivausers! You should go for a recent 2008 or at least 2007.1 version. When comparing these, I'd recommend the latter for any new user due to the more ripe status. 10.0 is out of date. At the prompt you have to type the username you've chosen first, then your password. On steam games, I don't know, probably someone from the Games section...

HTH,

scoonma

I can enter the login name but not the password, it just won't type anything.

But I tried with a different screen (the other one wasn't plug and play and I can't find the manufacturer) and an error message appear that the graphical interface couldn't be loaded. Could it be the graph card (though I choose ATI radeon at the installation)?

I can enter the login name but not the password, it just won't type anything.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Prompt / Cursor being displayed; this may look like this:

computer login: _

At this stage you have to enter your user login name. Do so and confirm with the <ENTER> key. At the next step you'll be asked for the password of that user name:

Password: _

Now you have to enter the corresponding password; confirm with <ENTER> again. You are "logged in" to the computer now and may issue user commands. Three important commands are:

mcc

to adjust system settings (Password for superuser "root" needed here!)

startx

to start the graphical desktop (X Windows)

su

to enter superuser mode (Superuser password needed - aka root password!)

But I tried with a different screen (the other one wasn't plug and play and I can't find the manufacturer) and an error message appear that the graphical interface couldn't be loaded. Could it be the graph card (though I choose ATI radeon at the installation)?

After being superuser from terminal mode, you can either use mcc, then the graphics (GFX) module, or issue the following command directly, which will let you change vital GFX settings:

XFdrake

-----xxx---snip---xxx----snip-----xxx---snip---xxx----snip-----xxx---snip---xxx----

Could please someone from the staff make this short explanation sticky?

when I try to type in the password, it won't write anything and freezes on a command prompt.
When you're typing a password, it doesn't get echoed to the screen. So it might look like nothing is happening. But type in the password carefully and press enter, then it should log you in (or give you an error message).

And not to repeat what others here have said but you do realise that there have been NINE versions of Mandriva since version 9.1, don't you? It's really, really old!