Nvidia Linux Display Driver 169.04 (Beta)

scoonma

Any idea which problem after vt-switching was fixed? I'm unable to log in as other users while a user session is running, and the research I've done about the problem has pointed to this being something very difficult to fix... basically there is no windows manager available if I try to log in as another user... Has this driver fixed that? Also, I know very little about Nvidia Drivers to begin with, except that under 2008.0 I don't seem to need them, or they are built into the kernel. Can I still use them if it will fix this problem. I'm a bit confused. Thanks

Hey, it's beta.

Are you sure there isn't some module running in debug mode?

No module being in debug mode. ide-generic shows up as permanent, but this may be due to the local kernel. However, nothing changed here before and after new driver installation in this regard. But I noticed an amd64_agp module, which maybe wasn't included within the old 100.14.23 driver.

Okay, let's blame it on the beta status. ;-)

Any idea which problem after vt-switching was fixed?

If you don't know what this is about, then you won't probably need this feature. ;-)

Okay, seriously again: You can switch between different 'primary' shell terminals using control key combinations. These terminals normally run in framebuffer mode, whereas the graphical desktop (X-Windows) runs in a different mode. Especially when using compiz (3D-rendering/acceleration enabled) there was a problem when switching back and forth between those mentioned 'primary' terminals (aka virtual terminals -> vt) and X-Windows mode. I've experienced this problem both with ATI and with NVIDIA. New driver generations seem to have fixed this.

I'm unable to log in as other users while a user session is running, and the research I've done about the problem has pointed to this being something very difficult to fix... basically there is no windows manager available if I try to log in as another user... Has this driver fixed that?

This is most probably no gfx driver problem.

Also, I know very little about Nvidia Drivers to begin with, except that under 2008.0 I don't seem to need them, or they are built into the kernel. Can I still use them if it will fix this problem. I'm a bit confused. Thanks

They're not built into the kernel. You still need them, but they may be loaded by urpmi/rpmdrake in the background 'automagically' for your hardware setup (-> harddrake service!).