Problems after MDK 9.1 installation...

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I'm sure your all familiar with the dreaded "greeneggs" problem I've been experiencing with MDK 9.1 where everything works fine for awhile and then my HD starts cooking, I reboot and am completely able to access KDE/Gnome from that point on no matter WHAT I try.

Anyway, I've always chosen "reiserfs" in the past. Would choosing "Ext3" this time possably solve the problem and is there anything else I might want to do this time?

- Peace

I'm sure your all familiar with the dreaded "greeneggs" problem I've been experiencing with MDK 9.1 where everything works fine for awhile and then my HD starts cooking, I reboot and am completely able to access KDE/Gnome from that point on no matter WHAT I try.

Nope, don't have a clue, can you either provide more details or a link to more details?

What do you mean by "HD starts cooking"?

Guest greeneggs

Nope, don't have a clue, can you either provide more details or a link to more details?

What do you mean by "HD starts cooking"?

Ok, it's a long thread but here's the problem...

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...?t=4380&start=0

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I went ahead and installed MDK 9.1 again only this time I used XFree v3.4. I also wanted to use EXT3 but could find a place to select it and so I settled for Reisert instead. What I got when I finally booted up was a completely blank screen (black) and so I knew the installation had'nt gone well.

So, I re-installed MDK 9.1 and thought I'd give GRUB a shot to see if that was causing any of my past problems. I also went back to XFree v4.3 (which I swear is buggy) As usual, the installation went well and I hav'nt had any problems so far but as usual, I fully expect it to happen again just like it always has and was wondering (now that I finally have MDK running (after 4 whole days) what I might do to fix the problem once and for all.

Like someone else said here awhile back, MDK is made up of thousands of different components, programs, dependencies, etc. All it takes is one weak link in the "chain" (ie; a bug in some component, etc) and the entire OS can start acting up.

Anyway,I look forward to hearing from you people and getting some help on this thing.

Thank you so much :D

"...MDK is made up of thousands of different components, programs, dependencies, etc. All it takes is one weak link in the "chain" (ie; a bug in some component, etc) and the entire OS can start acting up."

This is certainly just as true of Windows as it is Linux. I wish I had a dollar for every Win re-install I've done for this reason. At work it's rare that one of our Win98 or 2000 workstations runs well for more than a year without a re-install, and we make *very* few changes to them. At home on the other hand, my MDK 8.2 box with a very complicated setup has not been re-installed since 8.2 came out. In that time it's had way too many changes to count, but it's still rock-stable, runs for weeks or even months without even a reboot. In fact, I don't remember ever having to reboot except for power failures or to make hardware changes.

Oops, I take that back - to be 100% honest, I remember once a few months ago, I lost the sound. Tried logging out, restart the sound, etc., no good. So after about 10 min of fooling around I just took the Windows way out and rebooted and everything was fine. But, if I wanted to keep messing with it, I very likely could've got it going the Linux way, without a reboot. I just didn't take the time. Anyway, that's still pretty good stability...

I would be sure to install the updates issued for 9.1. There's a bunch, about 77 megs worth, I believe. That might stabilize your system.

But then if your gonna tempt fate and try for that XFree downgrade --- that's a different story. I would think that if X is running now and your screen looks good, you should be fine and not neet to downgrade this. So I recommend the updates and hope that things go well from here on.

Guest greeneggs
I would be sure to install the updates issued for 9.1. There's a bunch, about 77 megs worth, I believe. That might stabilize your system.

But then if your gonna tempt fate and try for that XFree downgrade --- that's a different story. I would think that if X is running now and your screen looks good, you should be fine and not neet to downgrade this. So I recommend the updates and hope that things go well from here on.

77M worth of updates?. Hmmm...I used the updater a couple of times and was told that there were no updates currently available. Should I try another mirror or something?

greeneggs,

If you want people to help you, creating a new thread is not going to help much. You should stick to one thread. Anyway, can u follow these steps and let us know the result:

1. Configure ur system to not start X at boot (run-level 3).

2. Do not choose KDE/GNOME as ur desktop but try the simplest desktop called TWM. Just create a file called .xinitrc in ur home directory and put this line

/usr/X11R6/bin/twm

in it.

3. Login from the text console. Start X using the command

startx

4. If TWM starts properly, a right click on the desktop will pop up a menu.

(now that I finally have MDK running (after 4 whole days) what I might do to fix the problem once and for all.

He has a running system WITH KDE at this point. I think greeneggs needs to add an update source ... and to be sure he has latest updates installed. I tried coming up with a link for this, but couldn't find one at this moment.