What rpm has mpeg2encode? [solved]

RVDowning

According to the error message you used wrong syntax in your command. It should be:
convert *.jpg -o test3.mpg

No, I think you misunderstood the error message. The syntax of the convert command is correct (see http://imagemagick.org/script/convert.php) but the parameters which convert passes to mpeg2encode don't match what it expects.

The latest source code that I can find is from July 19, 1996. It compiles without any problems on Mandriva 2008, ..............

Please let us know if this works for you?

Thanks! Yep it worked. There is a limit to the number of jpg files one can concatenate into an mpg because of command line parameter limitations (buffer size). So, I have to create several mpg files and then concatenate them using mpgtx. Now I'll investigate something that works faster than the convert verb.

Thanks again!

Now I'll investigate something that works faster than the convert verb.
I'm glad it worked for you. I've been playing with this today, and mencoder works a lot faster for me than that older 1996 code.

You may want to try it out. I created a directory with 611 jpegs, then did

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video

it took about 3 seconds to create the video. If you can use mpeg4, do

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

it also took about 3 seconds, and the quality is fantastic.

Yep, that worked for me too. Good quality and speed. :) I'm creating the mpg from around 4000 jpgs, so it takes a bit longer, but is dramatically faster than convert, and also faster than my other attempt which was:

echo *.jpg | xargs jpeg2yuv -f 25 -I p -j critters%06d.jpg | mpeg2enc -f 3 -b 3000 -q 9 -o CritterCam2.m2v

Thanks much!

I already wiped out my jpegs, so I'll try the mpeg4 with tomorrows batch.

(Edit: Hmmmm, how come that codebox is so big?)

Greg2: I'll hang out a sign and tell the critters to make noise. Come to thing of it, I don't remember if this particular ip cam has audio or not. This cam can be viewed at http://www.netrocam.com, selecting Critter Cams from the left menu. This particular cam is Critter Cam 2.

neddie: This particular cam is right outside my apartment's front door pointed at a food dish that I keep filled. Cam was just relocated there a few days ago. Normal critters are opossums, raccoons and cats. Most of the activity is at night (EST). I use my own WebCamWatcher to take a snapshot every 15 seconds. (Available for download at http://www.netrocam.com) This software can also replay the individual jpgs in a rudimentary fashion, but grouping them into one mpg is much nicer.

(Note to self: Did I upload the newest version of WebCamWatcher after fixing that bug last week? Don't think so..... :sad: Sigh.....)

Yeah, Critter Cam 1 is pointed at the piano. Problem with that cam on the deck is that the raccoons keep screwing with the camera. They get hold of the power cable and start yanking on it. I even had the cables stapled down with these heavy duty industrial staples. But, they yanked so hard on it that they pulled the staples out and broke the camera mount a couple of nights ago.

I have to take a trip to the hardware store this weekend to try a different mounting arrangement. It is hard to make things raccoon proof.

In the meantime, I thought I should point the camera at something..... sometimes one of my cats is on the piano. Since the mount is broken, I put the camera upside down and inverted and mirror-imaged the picture.

Edited by RVDowning

• 7 months later...
Guest jamsignal
mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

Thanks for this command line. I put 120k jpegs into an mpeg4. It took 20-30 minutes to run.

I used an AXIS camera and Zoneminder to take 15 second snapshots.

Thanks again.

For the record, I ran into this same problem myself when testing Miro (which tries to use ImageMagick to do something like the above).

The fundamental problem is that the mpeg2encode application is not free. It's very old reference code provided by the MPEG group, but it is not under a free license, so I can't package it and have ImageMagick depend on it. I filed a bug with the ImageMagick folks about the issue - I haven't checked on its status in a while, I will do that.

Actually, I can't find it. Hmm. Wonder where the hell I discussed this. Oh well. I'll do it again.