Wireless Card Not Working Again

UCDKid

So, by some miracle, I was able to get my Intel PRO 2200BG card working again with Mandriva 2008. But, I had another issue and messed up my installation. Now, I cant get my wireless card working. What worked for me last time was installing the firmware, drivers, and ieee80211 components, doing a make, and make modules_install and rebooting the new kernel. I am not sure what sequence this was in, and im not even sure if i did all of these things. So if anyone could give me some help, i would appreciate it. This is what a dmesg | grep ipw2200 gives me.

ipw2200: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq

ipw2200: Copyright© 2003-2006 Intel Corporation

ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

ipw2200: Failed to send TX_POWER: Command timed out.

ipw2200: Unable to initialize device after 5 attempts.

ipw2200: failed to register network device

ipw2200: probe of 0000:05:04.0 failed with error -5

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

• 4 weeks later...

So i have been browsing the internet for a little over three weeks now, and I am yet to find a solution to my problem. If anyone could help me get this wireless card working, I would greatly appreciate it. as far as i can tell, i just cant get the radio to turn on. I made the ieee80211, ipw2200, and the firmware. is all that i need a kernel re-compile? well, hopefully someone can help me. Thanks!

Have you tried increasing the timeout?

echo 100 > /sys/class/firmware/timeout

no i have not tried that, but I will, i will report back soon.. so much fooling around with my installation killed it, and is re-installing as we speak.

I remember trying something like that last time i got it to work, but it didnt work until i recompiled the kernel.

Edited by UCDKid

at times, it does not give me that error. But when it does not, and i try to set up the wireless through the control center, it does not find any networks. so it lead me to believe that the radio was not on. Then i tried issuing the command as root

iwconfig eth1 txpower on

and it gave me the following error

Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :

SET failed on device eth1; Input/output error.

i tried googling this error, but didnt find much of anything useful..

If I unknowingly break something and can't fix it :wall:, I simply reinstall it. :)

I have an IBM-branded (made by Lenovo) ThinkPad laptop which has an Intel 2915ABG wireless adapter, this also uses ipw2200. After installing Mandriva on this, the adapter immediately worked, it detected my router (and someone else's network!), I configured it for my router/security settings and it's worked since, without fail.

You may want to uninstall/remove ipw2200, then re-install it via the Control Center and reboot, to see if that will fix your problem.

Edited by edwardp

i could not find a way to remove this module other than with the remove-old included with the new driver. I did install the new version of the driver, and did not make a difference at all. it still seems that i cannot get the wireless radio to turn on.

ipw2200 can be removed by going into the Control Center/Software Management/Manage Software and select to remove it from there. Then you can reinstall it, it should download a new copy from the mirror when reinstalling.