Change the GTK Theme in 2008 KDE [solved]

Anshul

Hi all,

I need some help in changing the GTK apps theme in the KDE version of 2008. I really dislike the blue-ish Ora theme for MCC, Firefox, all the other GTK-based apps. Is there any way to put them back to a default theme, like Clearlooks? I remember a setting in the KDE Control Center to set the GTK options...I don't see that with Mandriva. Can someone please help?!

-Anshul

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 1 month later...
Install gtk-qt-engine

There is also gtk-chtheme

Jim

I have it but it really doesnt work that well on here, the gtk engine seems stuck on the iaora theme even when I set it to use the QT engine.

I want to use more themes but it seems stuck.

Edited by Sunnyr

run:

gnome-theme-manager

to change your gtk theme. be sure to add:

gnome-settings-daemon

to KDE's autostart.

gtk-qt-engine isn't the best way to modify the GTK theme, even though it tries to make GTK emulate your QT theme. Many themes just don't translate well and end up looking a little ugly.

well it seems much messier in mandriva then in others i have used, mandriva doesnt seem to do well with GTK theming
The problem is that KDE doesn't start gnome-settings-daemon. This is normal, as gnome-settings-daemon is part of GNOME, not KDE. It has nothing to do with Mandriva. If you were in GNOME, GTK theming would work fine.

The problem is that KDE doesn't start gnome-settings-daemon. This is normal, as gnome-settings-daemon is part of GNOME, not KDE. It has nothing to do with Mandriva. If you were in GNOME, GTK theming would work fine.

but i have used other KDE based distros, slapped on gtk-qt and it seemed fine.

Heck kubuntu seems to do better then this

but i have used other KDE based distros, slapped on gtk-qt and it seemed fine.

Heck kubuntu seems to do better then this

Like I said, I don't support use of gtk-qt, so to me it doesn't matter. gtk-qt is a hack at best, and you can't expect it to work well in every situation. results are extremely theme dependent.

Like I said, I don't support use of gtk-qt, so to me it doesn't matter. gtk-qt is a hack at best, and you can't expect it to work well in every situation. results are extremely theme dependent.

I use it because it offers a way to have a unified look without being tied down to a certain style, in most other distributions I have used this engine works fairly well but in mandriva it looks junky.

we're going in circles.

IMHO, using the original tools created specifically for the task at hand (gnome-theme-manager, gnome-settings-daemon) is really a much better idea. Unified look can be achieved through simply picking good themes. Again, just MHO. I'm not going to continue to argue the point.

Sometimes if something doesn't work, you have to look at alternatives. It's obvious from here that the gtk-qt theming isn't working. So, an alternative has been mentioned by tyme using the gnome-settings-daemon to autostart with KDE. This does work, as I've used it myself back in Mandriva 2006 and 2007.

Each distro is different, so what might work in one, might not work in another. If you're refusing to try another solution, then that's up to you. If you want it to work, use the alternative.

I have a feeling it is gnome-control-center that will give you this. Then you need to add it to .kde/Autostart, simply by doing this:

cd ~/.kde/Autostart
ln -s /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon

and then each time you restart KDE it will be loaded.