"your system is not compatible with 3D desktop" ?

darkscot

After happily using Mandriva 2008 for several weeks (complete with 3D desktop) it has suddenly decided my system is not compatible with it!

Worse than that, the window decoration on KDE has dissapeared, apparently for good!

EVEN worse than that my keyboard will not work properly on Firefox! I can scroll up/down tab etc but when I try to type text of any kind nothing happens. It works fine in other packages, such as OOo.

(Just in case you are wondering, I am writing this on a Windows PC)

Bummer, eh? If I was in your shoes I'd probably reinstall everything, barring my home partition if I had one... but that probably comes from a Ms Windows mentality. I'm sure if you stick around long enough someone will be able to solve your problems, I rarely have enough patience for that when things go bung...

That said, what exactly is going on? Are you getting error messages about not being able to use a 3d desktop? One place you could check, and post your output here, would be /var/log/messages. Assumiing you're using KDE, type (as root in konsole) "kwrite /var/log/messages".

This is your system wide log message where your errors will be kept. You might work some things out there yourself, and if you post them here someone else might be able to.

I'm wondering if you might simply have had your windows manager crash, there are still some bugs in Compiz-Fusion (3D desktop program), and this happens periodically. You may have been lucky and it's only now just happened... this basically means your windows decoration goes kaput, and sometimes you can't type in your windows. Try this command, first as a regular user, and if that doesn't help as root in Konsole, "kde-windows-decorator --replace"

Other options which usually work for this problem are to log our of your current session, hit "Alt+e", (this restarts your X environment), then log back in again. Barring that, try a system restart. If none of these options work, then there is something else gong on. Good luck, and please let us know what happens, you will help other people if you post a fix.

The window decoration of KDE (kwin) will come back if you type in a console

kwin --replace

which of course you should run as user, not root.

Reinstalling everything hardly ever is a good idea in Linux- better check your logs to find out what's going wrong. But yes, compiz-fusion is quite beta and it often gets broken.

I have tried all the usual things such as restarting X, rebooting, logging in as different user etc. Restarting the window manager works sometimes but only temporarily, if I log out and back in again the problem comes back.

I wonder if it is something to do with the NVidia driver? When I try to run Drak3D the options for Compiz and Metisse are greyed out and it says my system is not compatible with the 3D desktop.

It may also be linked to recent updates. I have been away for a week or so and in the meantime my son has been installing various updates. I now have two extra boot options on the Grub login screen.

Did you install the new kernel version? That would do it. It did it to my PC w/ Nvidia chip.

Try latest updates (see to it that your sources are up-to-date) - I got it to work again by doing these things:

1. I installed the new kernel-sources
  2. I installed the dkms-nvidia anew
  3. MCC - hardware - set up the graphical server (by restarting the graphical server I got 3D back)

This gave me all the 3D back.

Edited by dude67

Guest st3w4rt

Hi all,

This topic could be pinned. I was trying to describe the very same problem with less comprehension.... https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=45129

Why does it suddenly stop working? The first time this happened to me I reinstalled mandriva, all my files being stored on a removable USB HD. The fix in this thread works, so now I just need to change a few options and log in/out... this is better but not ideal.

There was a problem with a recent kernel update which may have caused this issue. Please re-run MandrivaUpdate and install all available updates, then re-run the graphics card configuration tool, re-select your graphics card group, say 'yes' when asked if you want to use the proprietary driver, and re-start the system. This should hopefully resolve the problem. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

There was a problem with a recent kernel update which may have caused this issue. Please re-run MandrivaUpdate and install all available updates, then re-run the graphics card configuration tool, re-select your graphics card group, say 'yes' when asked if you want to use the proprietary driver, and re-start the system. This should hopefully resolve the problem. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

Harumph!!!! :angry: OK, that did the trick so i have calmed down a little bit now! Well quite a lot really, I am glad to get things back to normal but still a little IRRITATED that this happened. Once I solved the problem I noticed another symptomm the NVidia logo was not displayed during log on, now it is. Thus confirming my suspicions that it was driver related.

I appreciate the fact that a solution has been provided but I think this issue should have been more widely reported.

You can simply disable/enable the nvidia logo at X startup by adding a line at the "Screen" section of your xorg configuration ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ), looking like:

Option "NoLogo" "true"

(or you can change the value to "false" in the unlikely case you enjoy that logo...).

Edited by scarecrow

(or you can change the value to "false" in the unlikely case you enjoy that logo...).

I LOVE that logo! I am an NVidia fanboy! ATI are the followers of Satan and the sort of people who call their teddy bears Mohamed! :ph34r: