internet access

coustasse

Do not worry... this is already much better. Follow Greg's advice, and forget eth1 - you have just one ethernet card, and the first one in Linux is eth0.

One more question, and we are ready to go: Which modem?

Asking because some modems have a built-in dialer, while others do not, so you have to use some software to dial out. French ISP's usually offer some of the Alcatel range of modems, but you'd better tell us.

Hang in Coustasse, we are still with you. :D :D :D . We know you are not a dunce because anyone who is determined to have Linux work for them cannot possibly be a dunce. :D

As Scarecrow so wisely says, please give us the name of the modem you are using so we can all google for info about it and also details of how you have physically connected it up.

Even a sketch diagram would help.

Cheers. John.

It is now an Ethernet connection.

The modem appears to be Hitachi AH4021 version MGCP

There is a manual on the installation disk and good diagrams. You would need to explain to me how I can post these to the forum. I used 'Photobucket' for a different forum and they imported from there.

There are four connections at the back of the modem: from left to right (looking over it from the front) power, telephone, ethernet connection to PC, ADSL connection to incoming telephone box.

Don't forget that this is the same modem that Linux automatically picked up at the first installation when it was using a USB connection

Edited by coustasse

This modem seems having a bultin-dialer, so you won't need an external app.

After setting up your NIC as eth0, open your browser and type in "http://192.168.1.1" Do you get something like what's displayed here?

http://www.tuto-pc.info/modules/smartsecti...em.php?itemid=9

If yes, then you will simply tune the modem dialer, and then set your Linux as DCHP client- no extra configuration is needed.

Guest syslock

I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in to help explain coustasse's situation. I was trying to help him in another forum. In a nutshell, his Via Vt6102 is properly detected in network center and it is configured for auto dhcp and all the other default ethernet adapter settings. He is getting ip info, including a gateway ip. When I had him ping his gateway, it was a host destination unreachable error message. This led me to believe there was a startup service, etc that wasn't running properly?? He uses this same pc to dual boot windows xp and mandrivia and when booting windows with the same connectivity, he is able to access the internet. So, what would cause his adapter to be properly detected, assigned ip address, subnet and gateway yet not be able to ping his gateway successfully?

Guest syslock

This is his ifconfig he sent me:

IFCONFIG:

ethO Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:92:0F:07:C8

inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:feOf:7c8/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:7 errors:O dropped:O overruns:O frame:O

TX packets:57 errors:4 dropped:O overruns:O carrier:O

collisions:O txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:938 (938.0 B) TX bytes:7903 (7.7 KiB) Interrupt:22 Base address:Ox9400

10 Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:22 errors:O dropped:O overruns:O frame:O TX packets:22 errors:O dropped:O overruns:O carrier:O collisions:O txqueuelen:O

RX bytes: 1404 (1.3 KiB) TX bytes: 1404 (1.3 KiB)

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable