Wine

Guest Grimey

Guest Grimey

Pretty sure I'm having some serious problems with getting Wine up and running. I would rather use Winex but it appears you have to pay for it? Maybe I'm mistaken? But I tried installing the wine-cvs-unstrippped-032403-1 file and now when I try and install a different version it gives me a lot of errors? Any suggestions? Or where I can get Winex because I"m going to be using it for gaming mostly. Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope I can help some...

First, find out how to uninstall what wine you have, and get rid of it.

Then open a terminal and do this(you need to be online!):

To login to the CVS tree, do

export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs@cvs.winehq.com:/home/wine

cvs login

Use ``cvs'' as the password (without the quotes).

To check out the entire Wine source tree, do

cvs -z3 co wine

After you have done this and downloaded cvs wine,

cd to the /home/wine directory, and type

./tools/wineinstall

Follow the prompts, eventually it will install.

This is what I use, and how I got it, and it works great.

Wow!  Thank you very much, now I just need to figure out how to uninstall the version that I have...

you can open up a console window and:

[john@bob john]$ su

Password:

[root@bob john]# urpme wine

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be removed (20 MB):

libwine1-20030115-4mdk

wine-20030115-4mdk

Is this OK? (Y/n) y

[root@bob john]#

Your installed version may be different but the process is the same

I'm not sure about this...I've not tried it...but I think you can download wineX, but only from cvs...

I thought Wine could also play everything, but there was no installer for the games.....maybe DirectX???Someone?

I don't know but i have just got counter-strike retail working, and it runs fine.

The only version of 'free' winex that I have found is dated like somewhere around Feb. 2002, whereas 'regular' wine cvs (like I use) is updated almost daily, though the actual 'version' doesn't change but once a month.

In any case, I have had much better luck with 'regular' wine.

Michel, I know for a fact that wine can't play EVERYthing, but it will play the Half-Life games.

Grimey, I am anxious to hear if what I described above works for you...

please post here as soon as you can find out? :lol:

Guest Grimey

Alright well I'm going to try what was posted above and see how that works...

But as for WineX I would rather use that but I don't have any money to spend on it so I guess I'll have to stick with the CVS.

The thing I don't get about CVS is how everyone is saying they get like daily builds, how do you do that once it's installed?

Okay tried the CVS thing and after I do that cvs command and then go to cd to the /home/wine directory it says that it doesn't exist. Any thoughts?

The thing I don't get about CVS is how everyone is saying they get like daily builds, how do you do that once it's installed?

Okay tried the CVS thing and after I do that cvs command and then go to cd to the /home/wine directory it says that it doesn't exist.  Any thoughts?

sorry, i have not read the previous posts so ill just reply on this one.

cvs (concurrent versioning system) is a means of *moderating* the work done by a number of developers around the world. they cvs to checkout[1], checkin[2] or just create snapshot views[3] of the files of a certain project (wine in this case). the checkout and checkin privileges are usually restricted to a certain few but almost anybody can create a snapshot view of the project.

once you have created a view, you can update it[4]. this means that if the project repository is composed of 10,000 files, cvs will try to sync your snapshot view with the repository state by downloading/updating/removing files in your view. if only 10 files has been modified since you last synched with the repository then only those 10 files will be updated.

cvs views, as it is called a developers view, is bleeding-edge. it means that those views have the latest bugfixes but they are also unstable since new bugs can be introduced. it only takes one sloppy developer to muck up and submit a piece of code to bring down the operation of the whole application. there are safeguards regarding these but there are always a few small things that pass the initial inspection.

another thing, cvs will give you the source code and not the binary. you will have to build and install it,

ciao!

[1] checkout is the term used when a developer gains the right to modify/enhance it (fix a bug or add a new feature) and submit the modified file back into the repository (database of files).

[2] checkin is the term for the act of submitting a modified file so anybody who updates their view of the project can see/get the modified file.

[3] a snapshot view is a view of the files in the project repository at a certain point in time.

[4] refer to the cvs instruction page of the project you are trying to build.

Guest Grimey

Thank you for that, I appreciate it, makes much more sense now.

I'm still stuck on why the directory isn't showing up when I try to cd to it, am I not actually downloading the packages or something? I followed the post above on what to do for a CVS version EXACTLY.

Grimey, where did you download it to? By default,

If you did it as a normal user, it should have downloaded to /home.

My guess is that you downloaded it as 'root' which you should not.

It should take a while, depending on your connection, to download, maybe from a couple minutes to 15 -20 minutes. When it is downloading, it will print out in your terminal what it is downloading, and it's a pretty long list,

Let me know.

Guest Grimey

Okay well I did it as root, let me try it as the user then if that's what I have to do. So if I do exactly what is stated above it will work fine? I guess I'll find out... :)

It still says that the directory doesn't exist!!! I must be missing a step...after I do cvs -z3 co wine do I need to do something else because after that command I try and cd to the directory and says it doesn't exist.

Guest Grimey

Okay sorry my bad I got it, but now when I run that wineinstall file I get this error at the bottom...

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/grimey/wine/dlls/dmband'

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `depend'.  Stop.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/grimey/wine/dlls/dmband'

make[1]: *** [dmband/__depend__] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/grimey/wine/dlls'

make: *** [dlls/__depend__] Error 2

Compilation failed, aborting install.

Doing something wrong or do you need more code?