KDE4

ffi

So I have installed KDE 4RC1 on Kubuntu and I really had very high for it but I am sorry to say it just plain sucks. Konqueror I fired it up for the first time and everything was clear to me, I am struggling with Dolphin to just get to some elementary things like show hidden files :wall: Plasmoids I managed to put them on the desktop but still haven found a way to remove them, right clicking the desktop does nothing I expect it to do....what the hell have the kde people done, kde4 is like gnome, no options no nothing, I have used a lot of OS's and desktops but kde4 rc1 has been the most frustrating and limited I have encountered in over 20 years.... :wall:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KDE 4 isn't final yet, it is natural that it has all that bugs and glitches. KDE's development team promises that when they finish KDE will be more stable, flexible and more usable. I hope so. Meanwhile they postponed the release date to January 11 2008.

And here is an interesting post i've found: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/k...sign-decisions/

I'm not fan of KDE, but KDE4 RC1 is certainly not a polished product and still has some pretty big issues. Also, there are a lot of changes between KDE4 and KDE3, so, you'll have to expect to learn a few new tricks, or relearn a few things. That being said, you may just not like the new design for KDE4, but that doesn't necessarily mean it sucks ;)

I think that Kickoff menu might keep me from using kde4 -- especially if they don't provide a way to use a standard Kmenu.

I didn't realize that konqueror was going to use the dolphin engine. I thought I could just choose to use konqueror as the file manager and then wouldn't lose functionality. If that is not the case, that is another reason I might have to stick with what I've got.

If mandriva 2008.1 ships with kde4, I might have to end up having to pass on it, until the above two items are handled with some future version of kde.

KDE4 is an absolutely brilliant concept, which is not properly implemented- YET.

Gnome will also be there- no doubt about that. Maybe after 3-4 years, but IMHO it will take a little bit more... :P

If you have issues with the numerous KDE4 bugs, then simply REPORT THEM. Coming here and claiming "KDE4 sucks" is pretty pointless.

I've been toying with KDE4 alphas/betas since last April, when KDE4 used to be totally unusable... but instead of complaining, i just preferred submitting bugs. Isn't that just a wee bit more sensible?

Gnome will also be there- no doubt about that. Maybe after 3-4 years, but IMHO it will take a little bit more... :P
Seriously? I personally hope that GNOME doesn't follow KDE4's lead, I'd rather they do their own thing, and do it their own way. I mean, that's why I use GNOME instead of KDE...

(btw, dolphin? looks like nautilus to me)

Don't approach anything new with a closed minded approach like that, particularly something as daring as KDE4. People love sensationalism and declaring that something sucks because one itty bitty feature changed or operates differently. The KDE developers should be rewarded for the optimistic act that KDE4 is. _nobody_ has the right to say "kde4 sucks" at this early stage and if they do... they better justify it well.

Sure KDE4 have some teething problems like any project of it's size, but that's more reason to embrace it with an open mind. Particularly the release candidates and unstable versions. If you don't like something, file a bug or feature request -- don't whine.

I think that Kickoff menu might keep me from using kde4 -- especially if they don't provide a way to use a standard Kmenu.

I didn't realize that konqueror was going to use the dolphin engine. I thought I could just choose to use konqueror as the file manager and then wouldn't lose functionality. If that is not the case, that is another reason I might have to stick with what I've got.

If mandriva 2008.1 ships with kde4, I might have to end up having to pass on it, until the above two items are handled with some future version of kde.

For a start, they probably won't entirely remove the old Kmenu, as it would have a large following. But why don't you try kickoff before you diss it? From what i've seen, its a different way of organising what's already there. A really old flash video here looks impressive: http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html

Also if you had read the thread above you'd note that the dolphin engine was remarked to be as capable as konqueror.

James