Problem after installation of 2008

pelusa

Hi,

I was installing Mandriva 2008 according to the perfect set-up of Falko Timme. It went great until I came to vmware. when it asked me

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

I gave it the entry

/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/build/include

which I verified with uname -r

OK then i got the error message

"... The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv) ...."

I went into /usr/src/linux/Makefile

and changed the EXTRAVERSION entrance from 9-1mdvcustom to 9-desktop-1mdv and recompiled the kernel with make in this directory. I could install vmware without a problem. The only thing is, which is also indicated in "The perfect Setup" no application entrance has been created. i have to do it manually. But when I right click on application to edit menu, i see the main menu wants to start but after a few seconds it goes away and no main menu appears. How can i get the main menu to work? has it to do that I changed the "custom" to recompile the kernel source?

Hope you can help

Thanks a lot

Thomas

Hm OK, after a restart I saw that it must have updated the kernel to the latest 2.6.22-12 (at least uname -r changed from 9 to 12) and now I have to recompile the kernel again. How would I do that and can I just uninstall vmware as suggested by the perfect setup?

I cannot install labview either for this reason now. This might have prevented the main menu from opening?

How can I safely update the kernel and then tell it not to automatically update every single new kernel version?

thanks again

Thomas

I think the easiest way for you is to restart your pc, and under grub choose the kernel that you have compiled.

When in Mandriva you have to uninstall the new kernel.

After that you open a konsol, (if not opened already) then write:

su "kwrite /etc/urpmi/skip.list

And ad kernel to the skip list, then it shouldn't be upgraded again.

And yes, you should be able to uninstall wmware either by using RPMdrake, or with this

urpme wmware

Tanks for the reply,

I uninstalled vmware and reinstalled the new kernel-source with "software install & remove" in application, and then it worked like a charme. However as I cannot get labview with all drivers to run under 2008 I will go back to 2007 spring and see if I can get labview to run there (any recommendations whether 2007.0 or 2007.1 ? ). Unfortunately, I cannot go back to 2006 (the version I know that labview ad all drivers will run) as the Intel board (DQ965GF) I am using does is not supported by 2006 ... it won't recognize the cdrom drive (actually cd/dvd drive) when I try to install it. strangely enough the screen before this error message says it will now install Mandriva 2006, which means it reads from the CD ....

The quick start kit, provided from Intel, that should work with Mandriva 2006 does not work (according to one webpage, according to another intel webpage it should not work ... well bad luck I guess .. it does not work), as it requires an installed OS ....

Thanks and cross you fingers for me that 2007 lets me install labview with all necessary drivers (otherwise I am screwed) ...

Cheers

Thomas