Installing Multiple Linux OS

istanlfc

Hi,

I currently have Mandriva One 2008 on a 10gb partition out of my 40gb.

Question.

When you install another linux on a unallocated partition what happens to the bootloader? Say if the new linux you install has the GRUB loader would the hardrive load the new loader from the new linux? Or recieve a GRUB error and load the old one?

Thanks.

Most likely (unless you tell the installer otherwise) the new install will overwrite the GRUB from the old, and you may (depending on the distro) have to re-add your Mandriva install to the new grub to be able to boot it.

It is just as easy to not load a new installed and edit the current GRUB. (You are going to edit anyway!) You can mount the partitions and find the kernel/image names.

It is just as easy to not load a new installed and edit the current GRUB. (You are going to edit anyway!) You can mount the partitions and find the kernel/image names.

How do i edit the GRUB? Through Mandriva?

Yes, Mandriva stays in control of GRUB. Launch into Mandriva first, mount the partitions, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (Mounting the partitions enables you to see the names of the kernel and image of the other distro.)

If you had a /boot partition, then you technically could allow grub from both distributions to modify the grub config. That way you wouldn't have to edit it manually to add the kernel for the second distro you've installed.

Although, it's ideal to set this up when you install your first distro, so that the partition is ready for additional distros to use after that. At least, this is how it *should* work. I'd still take a copy of the grub config file before doing it though, just in case.