ENUWI-G2 working with ndiswrapper WPA encryption

Guest sciencegeek

Guest sciencegeek

I am now connected to the Internet via the USB adapter mentioned in the subject line. First, I would note that the manufacturer's web site is somewhat misleading, as the drivers shown for this USB device include a Linux driver with the Ralink RT73 chipset. This is wrong, just open the Windows driver folders and you'll see this device uses the Realtek 8187 chipset. I bought the USB adapter for $5 (USD) so I couldn't complain much, although I expected to get a Ralink gizmo.

But no problem in the end for me. I am currently using MCNLIve "Delft" running from a USB drive (A nice arrangement, and I am looking forward to trying out the "Toronto" distro, as well as other Mandriva versions, soon.) The USB adapter was easily installed by using the ndiswrapper selection in the Mandriva Control Center, and selecting the Windows 98 driver after mounting the CD that came with the adapter. I haven't tried the other drivers, but a previous Internet search suggested the Win98 drivers as best. The rest of the install went very smoothly, and I was on the Net within a few minutes. My router is already set up for WPA, and this was all set up pretty automatically. I didn't need to enter any IP address, etc...

First impressions: the signal strength indicator shows a very low signal strength, but I usually get a strong signal using WinXP and this device. It doesn't seem to affect the connection, so maybe it's not correct. The device gets warm, but it seems to be OK. I believe the same basic USB adapter is available branded under other names and it is inexpensive.

After spending many evenings trying to get my realtek 8185 PCI card to run under Linux, the ENUWI-G2 was very easy with MCNLive. I suspect it wouid be OK with other Mandriva derived distros. Good Luck!

Next challenge: the Realtek 8185 card. Here I suspect that the supplied drivers are the real issue, the Windows XP ones won't load in ndiswrapper and the built-in R8180 drivers don't work, either.

that's all for now

sg

[moved from Networking by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

i had a similar positive experience with Broadcom wifi (notoriously awkward to install in Linux). It worked like a dream using ndiswrapper!! very impressed.

Less impressed with the multimedia support - my post about Opera plugins remains unanswered. It's my experience that web-based multimedia plugins are really primitive in linux compared to windows. Anybody want to disprove that with some newbie oriented help?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.