Mandriva One 2008 (free ver) & 4 GB RAM not found

Guest djetelina

Guest djetelina

I recently "upgraded" from Mandriva 2006 to the free download of Mandriva One ver 2008.

My laptop is a Dell Precision w/ 4 GB of RAM.

With my full version of 2006, all 4 GB was always found. In BIOS all 4GB is found. Booted to Windows XP all 4 GB is found.

With Mandriva One 2008 (downloaded from the web) only 1 GB is recognized.

Any ideas? Do I have to buy the full version to have all the RAM recognized?

The One edition of Mandriva Linux 2008 uses a kernel build designed for compatibility with the widest possible range of systems, the kernel-desktop586 build. If you install One on a system with more than 880MB of RAM, not all of the RAM on the system will be detected and used. If you have more than 1GB of RAM, you will be able to gain the benefit of your extra memory by switching to the kernel-desktop kernel build. Once you have installed the necessary packages, you can simply restart your system. The new kernel build should be the default, and you should notice that this one recognizes all the memory your system contains.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...to_880MB_of_RAM

Edited by yochenhsieh

Best for your laptop would be to use the laptap-kernel, since it is specifically designed for notebook-use (it should detect your full RAM).

you can install it with urpmi kernel-laptop-latest

Guest djetelina

FINALLY got Mandriva to recognize all 4 GB.

But not w/ the free DVD. Tried everything, never got more than 1 GB of RAM recogized by the OS.

Sprung for the FULL version (about USD 49) and everything worked perfectly on the first try.

THANKS!

David J.

Please see:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...to_880MB_of_RAM

the reason for this issue is simple, and you didn't need to buy the Powerpack edition to resolve it, but I hope you're enjoying that edition anyway! The way to resolve it for the One edition is listed at the link above.

Due to the way One works, it can only install the kernel it actually uses. And it has to use the 'desktop586' kernel, which supports only 1GB of RAM, in order to have the widest possible hardware support (if it used the 'desktop' kernel, i586 systems could not boot One).

The other editions - Free and Powerpack - use a traditional installer, so they can simply install the kernel most appropriate to the system being used (which is usually the 'desktop' kernel, supporting up to 4GB of RAM).