Desktop icon for unknown filetype

neddie

When I save a file to my desktop, the icon changes according to file type. So a png displays as a little graphic, a html displays as a little web page, a txt file as a little text file and so on. But, when the file is not of a recognised type (for example, kml), I get no icon at all, just the name. I'd like it to display a default icon in this case, as I'm sure it used to do.

If I create a new user, it works as I want it, so I'm sure it's just some user setting I've got. I guess I've somehow set the default file icon to something which no longer exists, but I can't figure out how to change it - I've looked in KDE control centre but can't find it.

I've tried changing theme - I was using "Crystal clear" before but downloaded the "Crystal project" one from kde-look and installed that - but it still doesn't show icons for kml files (or xyz files). I tried changing the icon for kmz, by going to the properties and setting the icon there - but I'd rather not do that for every possible file type, I just want a reasonable default. Any clues??

I'm pretty sure from when I was using KDE it was in the Control Centre. I know it has all the filetypes in here, and it has the icons associated to the filetypes here. I also remember there was so much here it was sometimes difficult to find what I was looking for. But it did break down into sections, like text, graphics, etc. So, it should be here providing you can find it.

Alternatively, if it isn't a big hassle, just remove the .kde folder, or rename it and KDE will recreate it, albeit meaning you have to reset any customisations you made. I know, maybe not the best solution, but an option if you can't find it in Control Centre (kcontrol).