Intel 845i - kdm failure

ou_ryperd

Hi

I'm running 2008 on a box with a 845i. It was installed from the KDE-Live iso.

As long as I have auto-login on, the display works fine. If however, I log out, the screen blanks and the login screen never appears. Even on traversing the different tty's (Ctrl+Alt+F1 - F8), it stays blank, and I have to reboot.

If auto-login is set off, I can log in as a user, but the same happens on logout. Any clues ?

Thanks in advance

Walter Kruse

Does it seem to you that your problem is similar to this?

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=34970

I entered this bug some time ago, but unfortunately my private life did not leave me enough free time to search the matter more, and give the needed details.

Since then, I've discovered that the problem still exists with the "old" driver (see the bug report), and that the problem may actually be more related to 3D. It seems (but I'm not sure) that the bug only appears after 3D has been actually used; eg: no problem after seeing the menu in Torcs, but problem after playing. Or other 3D games for that matter...

Don't hesitate to improve the bug report if you have interesting information.

Yves.

Nope. I installed and selected another theme, changed the background and disabled kdm theming - no difference with any of those.

It's as if X is running, but displaying nothing. Sometimes I can hear the login sound but the display stays blank <sigh>. VNC server also doesn't work - probably due to the same, I get a "111 - Connection refused".

On the same machine with Fedora and openSUSE, the display flickers very badly - at least with Mandriva one user can work.