alsa not started anymore [solved]

ffi

The shot shows the device recognized, and a driver ( snd_emu10k1 ) assigned.

alsa is loaded at bootup to restore sound volumes, and that's all... no other need for the alsa daemon running. Check in mcc/services the status of the alsa daemon.

If you want to reconfigure the audio device, go to runlevel 3 ( kdesu telinit 3 ), so that nothing will keep your soundcard busy, login at the virtual terminal as root and run "alsaconf".

Edited by scarecrow

Yep. That is why many of us are not moving to 2008 full time until the sound thing is fixed.

To give an example. I have rebooted into 2008 on 11 occasions. The first 3 rebbots gave no sound but the next two reboots did give me sound, the next remaining 6 reboots were sound dead.

There are no error messages from alsa or anywhere else. There is just no sound. I thought the latest kernel might make a difference but no such luck.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I also had problems with sound under 2008.0, which I didn't have when using 2007.0/2007.1 previously. I have two sound cards: one integrated AC'97 (disabled in BIOS), and a Sound Blaster on PCI. I had had the first one selected in KMix as a default mixer, and that was the case. One of the users from polish Mandriva fan site advised me to put the driver for the AC'97 sound card on a blacklist and it did help. Here's how I did it:

1) In /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 8139too

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_via; /sbin/modprobe usb_storage; /bin/true

# alias sound-slot-1 snd_via82xx

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /bin/true

install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe via82cxxx; /bin/true

remove snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd_emu10k1

install snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_emu10k1

2) and in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mdv:

# blacklisted modules for PCI coldplug

# see also /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat

blacklist rivatv

blacklist snd_via82xx

Now I have sound everytime I reboot to my 2008.0. Maybe it will help someone.

P.S. Unfortunately I can't install ATI drivers... :wall:

Edited by zibi1981