New driver is out, old problems aren't gone...

zibi1981

Hopefully someone can help.

I have a Radeon 9200 128mb AGP card in my system. I am running 2008.0

I have setup the graphics via MCC and all is working, in xorg.conf it uses the ATI driver. I have also tried to setup the graphics using FGLRX but with no luck at all.

I have installed all the FGLRX stuff from the Repos and they start on boot. I have used aticonfig and no errors are reported. I then reboot to find that X fails to start and I am asked to go through a console setup of the X Server again selecting the ATI driver for xorg.conf.

Have I missed something out?

I have compared the generated xorg.conf listed above with mine and apart from the obvious differences IE monitor and actual card they are the same.

When I run modprobe I see that there is a module running called RADEON. I heve read elsewhere that you should disable this but if I try it says that the module cannot be disabled as it is in use.

Should xorg be configured to use the ATI driver as below which ships with xserver or should I be using RADEON or FGLRX?

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"

BoardName "ATI Radeon 9250 and earlier"

Driver "ati"

Option "DPMS"

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"

EndSection

I can post more of the files if anyone needs more to help.

Thanks in advance guys.

PS I know I should be using an nvidia card but I got this one for free.................

I have a Radeon 9200 128mb AGP card in my system. I am running 2008.0

Should xorg be configured to use the ATI driver as below which ships with xserver or should I be using RADEON or FGLRX?

The only driver that will work on mdv 2008 with the 9200 is the xorg ati driver. The fglrx (and other) proprietary drivers are only for cards later than the 9250.

Jim

By all means buy a newer card but be smart this time and but an NVIDIA instead.

I too have tried to install an ATI Radeon 9600 card on a friends machine which was running 2007-Spring last week. Had no luck at all. Did a clean install of 2008 complete with all updates and again no luck even though the ATI proprietary driver install ran every time with no seeming problems. After rebooting, nothing but troubles.

So far as I am concerned ATI is still not worth the effort. I do commend AMD for the huge change made to ATI for the better since they took control but it still has a long way to go.

My friends have asked me to see if I can get the card replaced with an Nvidia again. They bought it without realizing that ATI and NVIDIA were not the same. Normally I would have got the replacement for them but they thought they would save me some time.

They had an Nvidia FX5600 card for two years prior and were very happy with it.

I have read different articles about editing files and so on, so that ATI works, but in this day and age that is simply not good enough especially when I can install the nvidia proprietary driver in less than 2 minutes and just 5 or 6 clicks and no file editing involved. And the driver install works EVERY time.

Cheers. John.