Can't install Fedora 8 - CD Drive Problem

Nope, you need to use a DVD (this was noted somewhere, obviously not on the downloads page, that would be too obvious :lol2:)

Funny that they never noted in the filename that it was a DVD, you know like Fedora-8-Live-DVD-x86_64.iso for example would have been much nicer, and would save them having to inform people later what it actually is :)

Live DVD works fine btw. I can see all hardware OK it seems. Even my 3D effects work, which I've yet to get working in Gentoo. I wonder if celestia and stellarium will work - as they don't in Gentoo. Only way to find out is install I suppose and see.

Well, I'm now running Fedora 8 x86_64 on my machine.

Install was OK. I got around the problem by burning the boot.iso and then doing an ftp net install my mounting the DVD ISO to /mnt/iso on my other Linux system and then running vsftpd to connect and do the install :thumbs:

Even my 3D effects work, which I've yet to get working in Gentoo.

That's one of the things I like about Fedora, provided that you have a card that is supported by an open source driver that works with AIGLX, 3-D effects work out of the box. Every other distro I have tried recently requires more effort that I can be bothered with.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

So far, I'm liking it. Of course, I can't find skype 64 bit version, and I tried 32 bit but it wouldn't connect and log me in. So it was removed, and all the other 32 bit dependencies it pulled in. Flash is installed, but not tested yet, and Adobe reader is working fine also. Just skype so far that is a pita. Not directed at Fedora, just skype since they don't have 64 bit Linux version in general as far as I can see.