Can't install Fedora 8 - CD Drive Problem

I posted this on the Fedora forum, and got no replies whatsoever, so I'll try here in the hope that someone might have some ideas as we have some Fedora users that frequent here :)

For some strange reason, I cannot install Fedora 8.

My machine will boot from the DVD that I downloaded, but it proceeds to ask me where the installation files are. I selected Local CD, but it says it cannot read/find it. I'm reluctant to do a net-install, because the whole reason of having the DVD downloaded was so that I could use that.

Here's the output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Mobile IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Mobile SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b6)
02:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 02)
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
18:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

my hardware isn't strange. It will boot Ubuntu 7.10 perfectly fine into the Live CD without problems. Any ideas appreciated. I've attempted to load all available Intel modules but none of them seem to work for me.

Similar happened with Fedora 7, except I also got busybox errors when booting the machine, but when I got around this I came up against the same problem. I was kind of hoping that Fedora 8 would have had this fixed. I don't understand how it can boot the CD, and then fail to recognise the media as being present as if it's unsupported hardware or something. The CD/DVD should have failed to boot at all if this was the case.

maybe it uses a generic ide-driver to boot and fails trying to load the ide-driver for your chipset (just a wild guess), your hardware is definitely not that exotic, maybe I should try installing Fedora on my box, the basic hardware seems to be similar

ah, sorry just looked at my box, it uses an ich7, so I'm not sure if the results would be comparable

have you already looked on tuxmobil.org or other notebook-specific sites ?

Edited by lavaeolus

Yeah, I currently have Gentoo 2007.0 installed and no hardware problems whatsoever, except my wireless but that's a different story. Is an odd one. I might try an FTP install and then see if the CD/DVD drive works afterwards.

sorry that I could not help so far but seems I have to install fedora now (I'm courious :D ), haven't used it lately since I was just to happy with mandriva, ubuntu and debian

I was hoping it would work for me this time :)

But sadly not, still not tried the ftp install, and not sure when I will. I'm happy with Gentoo so far, so shall see what happens. Maybe I'll tar up the hard disk and try Fedora, and then I have the option to put Gentoo back if I'm not happy with it, or it doesn't work how I expect it. Ah, something fun for the future maybe.

Thanks for the hints though.

Maybe you could try the Fedora Live CD, there seems to be a version for Fedora 8 too, I have only 7 at the moment, would be interesting how it behaves.

Have just installed Fedora 7 from LiveCD, seems to work ok, dvd-drive works, but as already mentioned I have a different chipset

I hope you have luck and it works.

I had such a problem the other way round, Mandriva one just didn't like my onboard sata and refused to boot (kernel-panic and all), while the normal CD-install worked fine, sata was detected and worked, even the raid function could be used.

• 3 weeks later...

Am downloading the Fedora 8 x86_64 Live CD now to see if I can actually get it booting. Then, if I'm brave enough I might consider an installation. Note: backup system first in case I want to revert ;)