Mandriva 2006 & panoramic screen

Guest nyme

Hello,

Well, my query is simple ;) : I have a toshiba laptop with a 16/10 "panoramic" screen, an ATI graphics card linux does not recognize and hence chooses a vesa driver which does not "do" 16/10 screens :D .

I have gotten the proprietary linux driver from ATI which is basically a compile issue. I tried it a long while ago and that did not work either :unsure: .

So : linux w/o proper 16/10 drivers and a 16/10 screen : not good friends, of course I have investigated for a long time, nothing :wall: .

This is a pain because the screen works, but I have two massive black stripes on both sides of the desktop, to make a "square" desktop within a 16/10 screen. Stretching, of course, stretches, the whole screen. :lol2:

I am a bit at a loss. :unsure:

Help ?

Please?

Thanks. :)

Hi nyme,

compiling the driver is no bad idea in that case. You'd first have determine your kernel version: Open a shell (terminal) window and type:

"uname -a".

The output will reflect your full kernel name.

You'll have to install the corresponding sources for that kernel, either using urpmi or mmc/software. A recent ATI driver may work then. Download it and follow instructions. For any further questions, feel free to ask again.

Good luck!

You don't need to compile driver from ATI site !

There's a repository for proprietary drivers at plf

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/plf.zarb.org...ree/2006.0/i586

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/plf.zarb.org...ree/2006.0/i586

to install it you need to have your kernel source rpm and the dkms rpm installed

download the ati-rpm and dkms-ati rpm from the plf site

install them, dkms will automatically compile the driver for your kernel

and then you can use the Mandrake control center to use the proprietary drivers for your graphic card

1. The vesa driver does support panoramic resolutions- although not all of them.

2. The proprietary linux driver from ATi is basically a driver, not a compile issue. :rolleyes:

3. Should I translate "that did not work" as "I could not get it working"?

4, Anyway, at Mandriva 2008, you don't have to compile anything- the ATi proprietary driver is included (at the non-free repo), and also the free/open "radeon" driver should work right out of the box with the big majority of ATi cards.

If you want a hint on how to enable the non-free repo, or enable the free radeon driver, do a simple query inside this forum- you will find plenty of topics.

PS: filochard, the ATi driver isn't at (unofficial) plf anymore. It has moved to the official "non-free" repository. Plus that in either the older plf package, or the current non-free one, the modules are compiled already, so you definitely don't need kernel-source. You will only need it together with the dkms package- and anyway, if you install dkms-ati it will also fetch kernel-source as a dependency. Factly, you need just the kernel headers- not the whole kernel-source package, but for some reason kernel-source-minimal is fairly regular at other Mandriva branches, but not 2008.0 official.

Edited by scarecrow

scarecrow :

The link I gave is (in extenso) ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/plf.zarb.org/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586'>ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/plf.zarb.org/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586

the beginning of this adress (ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/plf.zarb.org/mandriva/non-free) allows to find plf packages for older version than 2007.0 on the plf repo... they are all there!

I thought it was useful for the 2006.0 version that nyme uses (easier and quicker than upgrading to 2008.0

Edited by filochard