Mandriva Linux 2008.0 Installation Walkthrough

aRTee

My installation walkthrough for Mandriva Linux 20078.0 is now available, please check it out: Mandriva Linux 2008.0 Installation Walkthrough.

If you have any comments to that page, please respond here. I'll be tracking this topic for (spelling, grammar, whatever) corrections, additions, any kind of feedback.

Let me know if you like it, and if there's things you don't like, tell me what they are.

Thanks, and happy installing!

aRTee

The following is not a criticism. You say

This page describes the installation I did with the free and freely available download dvd of Mandriva Linux 2007.1
but the heading says it's a walk through of the 2008.0 installation. Indeed the screenshots do confirm a 2008.0 install.

The other thing that hits me is this sentence

I have installed it and run it on my laptop
reads better as I have installed and ran it on my laptop.

An excellent visual guide though. :thumbs:

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

I have installed and ran it on my laptop
I disagree. "I have ran it" is definitely wrong, "I have run it" is correct.

I do agree it's a nice guide though, and full of explanatory tips, nice job aRTee! :thumbs: Just a couple of comments:

Under "supplementary installation media" the screengrab (14.jpg) refers to wireless network configuration?

The text "Here the system gets installed, and the looks of this part have really improved lately." is repeated several times.

each package had it's own progress bar -> each package had its own progress bar

I'd also question the assertion

(don't compare this to the 10 minutes or so a Live CD install may take, that's not a 'true' system installation, but merely a copy from disk to hard drive)
Surely an install from a live One CD is a "true" system installation, it requires configuration and option-choosing along the way. It might be a little bit simplified but it's essentially the same. Obviously the package selection is smaller from a CD than from a DVD but it's not "merely a copy".

What interests me more, however, is after the install. Have you managed to get digikam talking to your digital cameras with 2008? (I haven't). And any other bugs / quirks / problems you've experienced?

{BBI}Nexus{BBI},

seems I missed out on search+replace of that one instance of 2007.1...

Thanks for noting.

To run, ran, run to that other topic...

Surely an install from a live One CD is a "true" system installation, it requires configuration and option-choosing along the way. It might be a little bit simplified but it's essentially the same. Obviously the package selection is smaller from a CD than from a DVD but it's not "merely a copy".

Not entirely so. On my 2007.1 One KDE 'installation', on my intel system with intel graphics, on boot, it loaded both the proprietary drivers for ATI _and_ Nvidia cards. There were some other things going wrong as well, services not being properly configured and such.

The main disadvantage is that the cd has only few language packs, and yes, for many that is a problem.

What interests me more, however, is after the install. Have you managed to get digikam talking to your digital cameras with 2008? (I haven't). And any other bugs / quirks / problems you've experienced?

Well, for bugs and quirks you have to wait for my review - as for DigiKam, I never use it to talk to my cameras, I always use a card reader.

(I just uploaded my config page as well by the way.)

But I have not seen any big issue so far. Beats openSUSE by a long shot on the same (novell certified) hardware - see my review.

just one thing I would like to mention:

some notebooks even do not need lm_sensors, my thinkpad r60 shows temperatures for Battery, CPU, GPU, HDD and Mainboard without even installing hddtemp or lm_sensors.

just a warning for thinkpad users: on thinkwiki some thinkpad users reported massive problems with lm_sensors, seems some thinkpads do not particularly like it

so far I can only tell about an old omnibook XE3, a not so old omnibook 6100 and my relatively new thinkpad r60

xe3 and 6100 show cpu temperature if acpi is working, lm_sensors did not detect any additional sensors, hdd-temperatures could be obtained via hddtemp, so far I had different versions of mandriva installed on them

my r60 shows all the temperatures I already mentioned if acpi is working, no extras needed, I can confirm this so far for Mandriva 2007.1/2008, Ubuntu 7.04/7.10 and Debian 4.0; forgot to mention fan speed is displayed too on my thinkpad

I use gkrellm for monitoring my systems

if someone wants additional features for his thinkpad, there are different packages specially tailored for thinkpads, although some models are better supported than others; interesting packages for mandriva should be: ibm-acpi, tpctl (provides the ultrabay-daemon for hot-swapping ultrabays) and tpb (provides additional key functions)

the lm_sensors problem is not so critical anymore as it seems, since newer versions detect thinkpads and therefore don't screw them up anymore (earlier versions could kill your BIOS when running sensors-detect

further info is given here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_lm-sensors

for everyone who wants to run linux on thinkpads I can highly recommend browsing http://www.thinkwiki.org before installing linux on your baby

sorry for turning this into a linux on thinkpads thread :D

Edited by lavaeolus

• 2 months later...

I have just installed 'Mandriva 2008 Free' from the disk included in Linux Format /Feb 2008 edition on my Asus PRO31Fseries laptop. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium on 1024MB RAM and 100GB.

The program successfully partitioned my hard drive and installed Mandriva successfully. I do not appear to have lost any files in Windows. So far, so good!

The Step by Step illustrations on pp.66-67 were very helpful until the very last sentence accompanying Fig.8: "Then, after some final configuration steps, you can reboot, log in and enjoy."

*PROBLEM: logging in*

When the black screen comes up requiring log in, the following happens"

*local host log in: *johnm (my log in name)

*Password: *(I type in my password)

*[johnm@localhost ~] 1$ *then appears

I apparently have to type in a command - I have no idea what it should be! (Hope you can help)

Trust you can provide a prompt reply as I am eager to run Mandriva and hopefully leave Windows behind!

Apparently, your video card was not configured properly, or not at all.

You should login as root (never do that in GUI mode), and execute this command:

drakx11

This should configure the display. In case it doesn't work at your first attempt, try the VESA driver instead of the recommended one.

Yves.

• 4 weeks later...

You can select lilo from the pull down listing the boot loader when it asks.

This is highly suggested as grub has had a known bug for 2 years not being able to load some other loaders...

Like grub. 64 bit grub cannot load 32 bit. This is annoying to say the least.

This is also a problem for Ubuntu, (probably everyone) and again is a bug in grub.

Lilo has no such issues, but the graphical lilo option went away ~ 2007.0.

Why grub is the default is still a mystery to me.

Other than THAT, I have installed 2008.0 on several systems and used the One-KDE cd as a diagnostic tool (and install tool) on dozens.

Works awesome.

Install (and auto resize of the windows partition) has worked flawlessly so far for me so far.

The only "gripe" I have with the install is the brain damaged copy/paste they set up

(likely so as not to confuse folks, mimics Windows ONLY, removing the std (additional) X11 method)

There is an easy fix for that, was lookinging for it when I read this fine walk thru.

(EDIT---Turns out I just had to set the mouse up properly. The autodetect or defaults have changed)

Edited by waferhead

If you have any comments to that page, please respond here. I'll be tracking this topic for (spelling, grammar, whatever) corrections, additions, any kind of feedback.

Hello:

Just wanted to say that your Mandriva Tips for Free is the one reason I came back to Mandriva after a number of other distros which I have tried.

Great work and keep going.

Regards,

Randy3011