amd x2 6000 options

mindwave

hey guys,

i'm getting ready to upgrade my computer for probably the last time for a year or so.

hewres what i'm thinking

amd x2 6000 cpu

4gb ram

asus m2n MB

those are the basics. now what i have found is that most built in MB vido wont support the new 3d compiz or beryl effects, and i'd like to play with them. i am NOT a heavy gamer, this will be my primary pc and i do some video and sound editing, but i have other pc's avaiulable as well.

so what PCI-E mid range vid card should i get. nothing expensive, i dont care about over clocking it , i just want good reliable 1280x1024 on a 2" monior

anyone who has suggestions i'd love to hear them, and i have always had good luck w/ the asus mb's but one of my local dealers is saying go MI instead.

i will probably order from tiger direct.

running mdv 2007.1

again, i'm open to any and all suggestions

thanks

j

NOt sure what a good cheap card would be, I'm running compiz-fusion on an ATI radeon (9500?), and love it. I'm also running the normal desktop with no 3d acceleration on my laptop, and love that too. There are advantages to not using compz, beryl, or compiz-fusion. 2 main ones:

1. User switching. I've yet to get user switching working on any of the above; while I can switch users I can't have the window manager working... this is a major drawback, and is no problem when not using 3d acceleration.

2. Dockbar. Apparently it is possible, but I've found this really difficult. I've tried lots of dockbars for both gnome and kde (running kde), and none of them work under a 3d desktop. Ksmoothdock comes the closest, but fails miserably when I try and hide it or use any advanced features....

Also, under 2008.0 Compiz-Fusions kde-windows-manager crashes all the time. THat said, I still love using it, it has made a huge difference to the usability of my box... just wish the above problems were fixed! Good luck.

mitch,

ive been running "built in" video for so long i'd just like to be "able" to try the 3d desktop, i doubt i'd keep it.

and since it my primary pc, user swapping wouldnt be an issue.

and as states earlier, until i can get done moddeing 2008 to do what i want it will be 2007.1

thanks

j

There is no reason that an Nvidia "built-in" vid chip won't run 3-d with the proprietary drivers. For example, a built-in 6100 does just fine and this is the normal built-in chip.

Mind you that with ATi you cannot run aiglx with the proprietary driver...

You either have to use the (much slower) XGL, or switch to the open (xorg/radeon) driver which does support aiglx, but with it it's only a poor relative of nvidia native hardware acceleration.

ATi are great gaming cards for windows, but sorry to say- for Linux they *still* are poopoo. The proprietary driver fixes one issue today, and creates two new issues for tomorrow... :P

Edited by scarecrow

Still are poopoo? Lol.... no swearing aloud hey?

I've yet to have any noticeable problems with ATI, apart from problems which seem to be standard running a 3d desktop environment... these keep getting better in any event. This could also be because I don't use my system for much other than office related tasks, photo editing, and music, but most of the 3d effects under 2008 are brilliant. I can't use the 'water' or 'snow' effects, but I'm not fussed about this. Enough eye candy to keep me more than happy. My only real issue has been video editing, and I think this has more to do with the software I've been using than my graphics card... but it might be linked in. Perhaps If my system usage was more graphics heavy, it would be a problem.

And Mindwave, judging by what you say, I think if you get compiz working you'll like it... I prefer Compiz-Fusion now, but compiz under 2007.1 works just fine... less buggy initially as well. Have fun! Also Metisse is kind of interesting, but I prefer Compiz. Easier to use..