Urpmi [solved]

One answer to neddie's 3rd question

Is it possible to extract a file or files out of an rpm without installing it?

An rpm is (AFAIK) just an archive with some scripts and other info added to it. File-roller (Gnome's archive manager) allows you to open and extract files at will. Being an XFce/Gnome person I have never looked at other archive manager, so YMMV.

Good idea, I should have thought about trying ark (I'm using KDE so haven't got file-roller).

But ark doesn't like rpms, it says "not a supported archive format". So unless there's a plugin or something to help it understand rpms, it doesn't work. Oddly in the dropdown list, "Debian Package" is one of the supported formats! :huh:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to sum them up here:

Can I install package X ignoring the dependencies on packages Y and Z, and if so how?
No, doesn't seem possible, but you can extract files from it.

Is there an easier way to interrogate what's inside an rpm or get a full description of what an rpm is, if you're only using synthesis.hdlists?
First option is to use hdlists for main and contrib, and synthesis lists for main updates and contrib updates. Second option is to download the rpm (using wget) and use urpmq -l. Third option is to use a website like rpm.pbone.net and hope it matches your repository.

Is it possible to extract a file or files out of an rpm without installing it?
Yes, using rpm2cpio and cpio as explained by Jim Kerr above.

I've written up a summary in case it's useful for someone else: http://geocities.com/firsttimelinux/running/urpmi.html :)

I've written up a summary in case it's useful for someone else: http://geocities.com/firsttimelinux/running/urpmi.html :)

This is a nice summary. :thumbs:

The link could be stickied (nice word in English - I'm sure we could get a nice run/ran debate out of it :P ) by the admins. Perhaps in tips & tricks or in this section.

Thanks, arctic, for pointing these out. Well, I hadn't been to the wiki site before, but I've read through the FAQ sticky a long time ago.

FWIW I think this First Time Linux article is quite clear and simple (as am I for that matter). So still a thumbs-up for neddie. :thumbs:

Thanks, dude! :D

Arctic, you're right, maybe I should have written that page in the wiki instead. But that wiki has been gathering dust for a while now (eg "The latest official version is Mandriva 2007, released in October 2006"), so I thought I'd write my own page instead. I'll put a link from my page to the wiki page though, that's a good idea.