Kernel-source-2.6.17-13mdvcustom?

So I'm trying to update VirtualBox, and I'm encountering the following error on setup:

Makefile:76: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.17-13mdvcustom) does not mat
ch the current kernel (version 2.6.17-13mdv).  Stop.

Now, the kernel source I installed didn't say mdvcustom, but apparently it is, and I've tried it from a few different places, and they all seem to be mdvcustom. So...what can I do? I tried forcing it by changing the makefile and config files to say only -13mdv, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Try in a terminal (regular one, no root permissions)

/bin/ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

and pass here the output (if any).

A quick and (hopefully) working solution, in any case:

urpmi kernel-latest kernel-source-latest

or, for your job, it's enough to do

urpmi kernel-latest kernel-source-stripped-latest

...which is several MB's less, and then reboot. You will have now kernel 2.6.17-16 plus the matching kernel sources, and you can proceed installing Virtualbox.

Edited by scarecrow

[urza9814@localhost ~]$ /bin/ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Nov 16 15:52 /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-13mdv

I'm a bit worried about updating my kernel in full....I did that once by accident and ended up having to do a complete reinstall. Screwed everything up.

Edited by Urza9814

You are using the correct kernel-source, but for some reason it's not linked properly.

If you want to keep the running kernel, the simplest way out should be uninstalling Kernel-source-2.6.17-13 and then reinstalling it.

But I'd rather upgrade to 2.6.17-16, which is no more than a bugfix kernel release, which means that it should work properly without any side effects.

Well, damn thing won't even boot up with the upgraded kernel. Screen goes blank, monitors go to no signal.

Any chance you had nvidia/ati proprietary driver installed as well? This also needs upgrading (if you don't use nvidia-dkms or ati-dkms that is... in that case the driver would be upgraded automagically), you can upgrade them now (tell grub to boot at runlevel 3 instead of 5, and upgrade them from CLI).

Ok, so I got my graphics working, but ndiswrapper wouldn't work...and I screwed it all up trying to get it to work, even going back to the old kernel version I can't get the damn thing running. But anyways, that's a different problem. Main problem is that even after all that, VirtualBox's installer still gives the same error message. Well, same except with -16 instead of -13.

Hi Urza, you've fallen prey to the same things that happened to me with that kernel... apparently it was all so easy to fix and sort out... I was told by several people that all I had to do was boot up with the new kernel installed, and if that didn't work I could go back to the old one... right... was also using virtualbox, and couldn't work without it...

I had to reinstall my system. And as I kept trying to make the new kernels work, I had to reinstall it several times. Was much easier once I realized I could just leave the home partition where it was...lol... yes I was very new to Linux.

Three options:

1. Keep going as you are and figure out what's wrong. You will make lots of people who have had this problem very happy. This may take some time. This is likely the best option, and if you have the time to wait, eventually you will find an answer.

2. Write off your losses, and reinstall your system files. This is basically a clean install, except you DON'T do ANYTHING to your home partition. This means that all your files, documents, settings, etc, will be the same. The only thing crucially important is to know what your user id is for each user, and to set that again when you reinstall. I.e., if your account is 501, your wifes 502, etc., make sure they stay the same. To do this run the command "userdrake" in a console as root. This will bring up a screen which shows you what you user id is for each account. Write these down. Of course, this is all assuming you have a seperate 'home' partition. I believe this is Mandriva's default, but I'm not sure. If you DON't have a seperate home partition you will loose all your info. I'd recommend using Mondo to back everything up (see below), then wipe everything, and do a clean install.

3. Use Mondo. I can never stress this highly enough. Mondo is a wonderful backup program that will restore your computer back to the state when you backed it up. It's specific to when you hose up your system like this. You can restore your whole system from bare metal, so if you're going to be doing lots of 'tweaking' to get your system to work better, I can't recommend it highly enough. You can use mondo to create additional, and resize, remove, etc, partitions when you are restoring. You can also back up any other file systems (ntfs for windows, networked, etc) that are on, or connected to your computer.

- I would recommend backing up your system with mondo. It is in the 2007.1 repositories, and 2008.0, though 2007.1 was missing some packages. Simply install it, run it, ("mondoarchive" as root in console) and it will tell you what it needs. All dependencies are in repositories. After that back up your entire system. You can use cd's or dvd's. It takes awhile.

- I recommend a clean install, preferably of 2008.0, as that kernel fixes many issues found in 2.6.17-13mdv. If you have a seperate home partition don't touch that, set your user id's properly on reinstall, set your passwords to the same as they are now, and don't restore anything from Mondo. If you DON'T have a seperate home partition, back up first with Mondo, wipe EVERYTHING, and do a clean install, still remembering to set your user id's and passwords to what they were before. Make sure you set up a seperate home partition this time. After you are done, install Mondo from the repositories, then run "mondorestore" in the console. Go through your system files in Mondo, and restore all the files from your old installation that you need to your new 'home partition'. This will likely be everything under '/home', and your virtualbox image files as well. I think by default these are installed somewhere in your '/home' directory, but might be under '/opt' as well. This should give you a clean install, a seperate home partition, and leave all your data intact. You will loose any custom system changes you have made, but will still have all your old files and documents backed up with Mondo, which you will be able to restore. You will need to reinstall programs such as Virtualbox.

Good luck. I've written all this because I remember being in your shoes exactly, and it sucks. Interestingly enough though, I just was able to boot from the updated 2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv kernel in 2008.0 (this was an update) without any problems. Virtual box works fine. Whatever the problem was in 2007.1 seems to be fixed. Feel free to contact me if you need any clarification of the above, I'm happy to help anyway I can. Also keep checking this forum. There are many, many, people who know much more than I do, and will likely have much better advice than I can ever manage. Also let us know what you decide to do in the end, and how it works. In this way you will help others who have similar problems. Good luck!

Edited by Mitchell