uninstall mandriva

tonyj

I installed mandriva on windows PC- uses the mandriva boot loader to select between windows and linux. I mainly use windows- mandriva was just to play around with. I now want to completely remove it from my pc. I think someone said I could just delete the linux partitions- but will that cause issues for windows loading? Any advise out there?

[moved from software by arctic]

Short answer.......NO it won't.

You will have to reinstall the Windows bootloader onto the MBR however. Someone may be able to tell you how but it won't be me.

I have been Windows free for over a year and a half and I cannot be bothered with Windows things anymore.

Cheers. John.

If you boot up with the Mandriva install CD and go into Rescue Mode I believe there is an option to restore the Windows boot loader to the MBR, once that is done you can safely remove the linux partitions.

Another option is to simply open a command prompt in windows (Start -> Run -> type "cmd" in the dialog and press enter) and run the command fixmbr, then reboot the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, insert your windows boot disk and when all the files have loaded press R for the recovery console.

It will give you the option on what windows to repair, it should look like this.

1. C:\Windows

You press 1 from your keyboard and it will ask for the Admin password, this password is normally just blank so press Enter. Now a command line will appear. Simply type "fixmbr" and press enter. It will caution whether you want to do it. Press Y and Enter. Now reboot.

On startup it will no longer load the GRUB loader. Enter Windows and go into disk management and format the Linux partition.

• 3 months later...

For formating your partitions and recover of mbr you can also use hiren s boot cd. Can get it at http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd. If your windows still refuse to boot up after fixing your MBR, don't reinstall them. Just repair your installation with automatic repair process. By the way you cant fix boot record from command promt while in windows so don't bother wit that