LiveCD Creation

Phydeaux

I've been playing about with Linux for a few years now so I'm not a "noob". However, I have never had the need to create a live cd until now and in this area I am a "noob".

While there are many live distros that have some of the software I need, there appear to be none that have all the software that I need (MCNLive is no exception), so I decided to create my own. I do understand that MCNLive is intended to be a desktop system, but any Linux can be converted to a server. I chose MCNLive because it looks great and includes the necessary tools to create a live cd.

I've been playing about with this for over a week now with no success. I first installed MCNLive Toronto to my hard disk so that I can install the necessary software. This is where the problems started. First was the "broken pipe" and "segmentation fault" while creating the initrd.gz file (a minor issue that doesn't affect the build - easily resolved by stating "--splash=no" on the command line). The second problem (which caused the build process to fail) was in creating the compressed filesystem, the cause of this problem is the fact that the kernel installed by the live-install process does NOT support the squashfs filesystem, while the kernel on the live cd does provide support for this filesystem.

So, my question is - How to I create a live cd from my installed system?

Thanks for any help (in advance).

Regards, Phydeaux.

Well...its sad to see that mandriva ships with a broken mklivecd script(cant figure out why it is been ship if it doesnt work)....I have tried MCN live but for me its a bit minimalist and if you update the system(recommended) so i tried PCLinuxOS and even after tons of updates and add some software,I just run the mklivecd script ,burn the output iso to a dvd and works like a charm....for me is awsome(NOTE:I am not the biggest fan of PCLinuxOS but this cool feature works solid).Too bad Mandriva is only concerned with the One version(again very nice as a livecd but not possible to remaster).

Now with the departure of chris of MCN live there isnt anyone to continue her great job.

Cheers.

Well...its sad to see that mandriva ships with a broken mklivecd script

Hi Wardevil,

Thanks for your reply. The mklivecd script is not "broken" since it works perfectly when using it to "remaster-on-the-fly" from the MCNLive CD. It's just that doing it this way to create the image that I need is going to take 4-5 stages, ie boot from MCNLive CD, remove not-needed software, install needed software, create image, burn image, boot from burned disc, install more software, create image, burn image, boot from burned disc, install more software, etc. The reason I have to do it this way is most likely due to memory issues as the machine I'm using only has 640Mb RAM, however, it does have nearly 1Gb of swap space which doesn't seem to be recognized by the MCNLive CD for some reason.

As for remastering from a hard-disk install, I am aware that I could compile my own kernel WITH support for the squashfs filesystem (and any other filesystems required), but I can't be bothered doing that just for this project.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards, Phydeaux

Yes....mklivecd is not broken,just the distribution have to be tuned for the mklivecd to work....so why ship with mklivecd if the distribution is not tuned for it??

And then again PClinuxOS is the best choice IMHO,works like a charm.

Cheers

Hi guys!

Phydeaux it would seem that Kris over at MCNLive cd has dropped out of the development of MCNLive cd.

Mindwave and I took the livecd to another level and used Mandriva spring, powerpack, and powerpack plus which we installed on the computer made a basic live cd and then added all the programs settings etc that we wanted and made a new cd.

The thing with making a new one when you add new programs etc is that you run all the scripts for creating your live cd again in case your updates have written over them.

Sorry, getting ahead of myself! If you would like the live cd version or the one that is a copy of your current settings, which I feel is more useful in case of crashes etc, then I can mail you what you can do with a to do list!

Mindwave, however, is the one who really developed the live cd to a new level and has started a website for that perpose, if I am not mistaken. Not got the address handy!!

Mindwave like most of the guys here at mandrivausers.org are absolutely brilliant at solving most problems!!

Please drop mindwave a line or let me know if you want me to help you. Really don't want to take the credit away from mindwave but would like to help you if I can!!

The downside to all of this is 2008 seems to be along way off from being released as a livecd version!!

bookie

As for remastering from a hard-disk install, I am aware that I could compile my own kernel WITH support for the squashfs filesystem (and any other filesystems required), but I can't be bothered doing that just for this project.
Why do you think the kernel has no squashfs support??

The standard Mandriva kernels all have it...

What kernel are you using? (uname -r)

The kernel with MCNLive Toronto off course has squashfs support... if it didn't, then how would you be able to boot the cd? ;)

By the way, I'm the "creator" of FreevoLive, which is build off of a clean 2007.1 system, with the mklivecd script from Chris' MCNLive cd :)

I am using the stock 2.6.17.x kernel (have done it with 2.6.17.5/8/13/14/15 and some legacy kernels)... no problems at all :)

Maybe you could be more specific in the error you get, while building the live system?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I have had some success in my project by two different methods.

(1) Using a computer with significantly more memory than that which I was using, I was able to install/uninstall everything that I wanted in one pass (running from the live-cd) to remaster the live-cd on the fly.

(2) By installing to the hard disk (from MCNLive CD) and installing/uninstalling everything that I want, then reboot from MCNLive CD and remaster "on-the-fly" from the command line passing "--root=/mnt/hda1" to the mklivecd script.

In answer to Highking's question regarding which kernel I am using, the answer is - the same kernel that is provided with the MCNLive Toronto release. While running in "live" mode, the kernel supports squashfs, but once installed to the hard disk - it doesn't. Try it yourself - boot from MCNLive, open a terminal, type "cat /proc/filesystems" and you will find that you have support for squashfs. Then install to hard disk from MCNLive, boot from your newly installed MCN system, open a terminal and type "cat /proc/filesystems" and you will find squashfs is not supported. Why does this happen? I don't have an answer.

As for the error that I get. If I try to run the mklivecd script from my hard-disk installed MCN, it goes through the process of creating the compressed filesystem, after which the script does a "chmod 644" on the compressed image that has just been created. At this stage I get "file not found" error. This error occurs because the kernel that has been installed by the MCNLive install process does not have squashfs support, subsequently, after creating the compressed filesystem, it gets deleted.

On to Bookie. It looks like you and Mindwave have done a lot of work already. Yes, a to do list would be very handy. What I have been able to achieve, is to get OpenOffice installed (I needed something that was compatible with that other company's office software and I don't know whether koffice is or not). I also needed a web server with database integration, and to do this, I installed Apache, MySQL and PHP. This is where I am having problems (I am aware that MCNLive is intended to be a desktop and not a server, but I need both for this particular project). While the Apache server starts up OK and runs perfectly from hard-disk, after creating a live-cd (or live-usb) of this hard-disk install, for some reason the Apache server no longer supports javascript or style sheets. It's probably just a configuration issue with running the Apache server from a live-cd. Any help in this area would be muchly appreciated.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards, Phydeaux.

Hi Phydeaux, I have a few changes to make to the list and then I can attach here or mail it to you?

The list is a bit like asking some one who already knows - how to suck eggs!! The reason for it being idiot proof is that I'm the idiot that mindwave was trying to help and it sort of grew from that!!

Let me know how you would like the list and I will try my best to get it to you today sometime.

Having a hard time concentrating at the mo got a bad back again!!

all the best :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

bookie

Bookie,

I think it would be nice if you could post your to do list here so the rest of us following this thread can see what it is your doing and want to do. Myself cannot help with the development of this project or any other linux project at the moment because of my own ignorance (i havent a clue where to start). but i am interested in seeing what others are doing and I for one do follow the MCNL threads.

So, please post your todo list here. thanks

Lurch

Hi lurch, I should point out that this to do list is by courtesy of mindwave. Mindwave wanted a livecd with an extra bonus having an updated reinstall cd as well.

II got a little confused about what MCNl was about in the beginning and chris b put me right. It was then that mindwave saw what I wanted and was in the process of developing that side of things with some help from chris b.

Cris b, as you all should have read, has retired from MSNl's development of the livecd!! Didn't get off to a good start with chris b but appreciated her being there. Sorry to see her go!!

Having a livecd which can have your personal settings all the time from the point of creation has to be a bonus. The only downside is the livecd side of things becomes a little slower if you add everything you want in the way of programs etc.

I have worked with mindwave a tremendous amount to make it work! There are no immediate differences from the livecd and what we wanted. I just personally thing that having a livecd that is an exact copy of your own computer at the time of creation to be a great reinstall device and save manually reinstalling individual programs, trying to remember where you got what from where, etc.

The list I attached to this post is an amended version from mindwave's original, although, not changing the basic content!!

I have powerpack and powerpack+ 2007.1 that work with this list.

Any questions? Just ask!

If you want to see what mindwave is about, and learn some more about this project, then follow the following link and you can get the original list and MCNL scripts in one package to save you copying from Toronto!

http://www.thehess.org/Rollyourown1.html

bookie

PS Tried to upload list here but failed!!

This list is from mindwave who is at the following link

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showuser=17932. I have added some additions for clarity.

If there is something you don't understand, then please drop me a line, so that I can clarify it for you!

Please also appreciate that there doesn't seem to be anyone working on 2008 at the moment, so 2007.1's kernel will become absolute in a sense but that wont be for some time yet! Some extra comments are highlighted in red. The files you are copying and pasting I have highlighted in blue just for ease of reference later on!

Step 28 is not now needed. I haven't personally tested it. You only need step28 if installing to USB!

What if I want to create my OWN cd from my OWN install?

1)This assumes you want to use a 'normally installed Mandriva 2007.1 systems without using the 'remaster on the fly method' and without installing MCNL to the hard drive.

a.This can be used on ANY type of a Mandriva install.

b.If you have Mandriva Free, Mandriva ONE or Mandriva Power pack, it doesn�t matter.

c.What DOES matter is NOT installing anything that you don�t need, so I�ll try and give you some things to watch out for as we go along.

2)These are the basic steps that I used to start from a clean Mandriva 2007.1 Spring installation.

a.This will also make it ready to build a LIVE CD/DVD out of the HD install using the mklivecd and MCNL scripts.

b.I can only verify that this method works with the 2007.1 Spring versions, I haven�t tested it on an earlier version or anything being worked on in the cooker.

c.This setup MAY seem a little confusing because you will perform many of the steps from a system that has been booted with YOUR hard drive installed MDV, and you will also perform several of the steps ONLY from the system running the Toronto system, as booted from the disk created in the next step.

d.One of the things that makes the ORIGINAL set of instructions so confusing is that if you follow them step by step you will be flipping back and forth between your Hard drive install and a Toronto based system a LOT.

e.This is due to the compression used in creating the Toronto CD; you can�t dig down into it as you would a normal installation cd.

3)You will need to download and burn the ISO image of Toronto

a. You�ll want to go here: www.mcnlive.org/download.htm to get the Toronto ISO.

i.There MAY be a newer version than Toronto by the time you read this.

ii.Hopefully I will update this, but if not MCNL is pretty good at maintaining older versions on file.

iii.Once you have the ISO downloaded use whatever burning software you want to turn the ISO into a bootable disk (look for �burn image�)

4)When you go to install your version of Mandriva 2007.1 you will want to do a �custom� partition.

a.Although Mandriva does a great job of creating partitions and things automatically, but most times those partitions are too numerous and the wrong sizes for what we need.

b.When you get to the part where you create your partitions you only need 2 of them created and formatted.

i.The FIRST is your PRIMARY partition; this is where EVERYTHING will live. It should be labeled �/� ONLY and formatted in a Linux native (ext3)

1.This can be whatever size you need, make sure you leave yourself some ROOM to work.

2.At THIS level, my own drive is partitioned to 50GB and everything works fine

3.You do NOT need any extra /home partitions

ii.Your Second partition, the system could handle if it wants, and that�s a Linux Swap partition. Typically it shouldn�t be much bigger than a few GB, in the windows world it�s calculated as 2x your ram.

1.In Linux it�s even more flexible than that, and you can create it as small or large as you want, too small and your HD spins too much.

5)Once you have installed your Mandriva system you will want to go into MCC and make sure that you have installed all drakxtools and drakconf.

a.The drakxtools take care of the hardware detection.

b. Be sure to install the standard kernel or the standard legacy kernel, or the official updated kernel.

c. A kernel from contrib won't work.

d.But if you run a standardized install you should be safe, HOWEVER you may want to hold off on any �updates� until after your system is stable.

(comment: When you install Mandriva 2007.1 you can add your additional packages at the same time. If you want just a lightweight version of Mandriva, then don't add too much - for example games and such like.)

6)Add the software sources main and contrib., you can also add the additional resources if you would like.

a. There are several methods, one of the simplest for ME is to use EASY-URPMI from www.mandrivausers.org

b.Once you navigate to mandrivausers.org in the upper right corner is the link for Easy-URPMI.

c.Although you only NEED to setup your MAIN and CONTRIB I always take the opportunity to setup all my rpm sites while I�m here.

d.However 2 things to consider:

i.Since were going for an light installation, I would definitely take advantage of using the compression offered by easy urpmi

ii.Also I don�t really suggest the �cooker� or other experimental areas for setup, as you can EASILY grab some VERY untested updates that could cause major headaches down the line.

(comment: Stay away from backports as well.)

e.Otherwise, stepping through the menus will pretty much give you everything you need.

f.Once you have stepped through it all you will end up with a page that has all your sites setup in a particular series of steps, beginning with URPMI.

7)Once you have reached that point, you will want to leave that window where it is and open a terminal/console

a.If you don�t have an icon on your desktop you should be able to go to start/system/terminals or it could be listed as /shells

b.There are MANY different shells, they all pretty much do the same thing, which ever you choose should do the trick.

c.With your new console window open you�re now looking at a command line interface, by typing su <enter> and the root password, you�ll be able to change almost anything and everything on your system, so BE CAREFUL!

8)You are now logged into the CLI as root, go to your web window, the one with easy-urpmi displayed, and highlight all the code in the box.

a.Once it�s highlighted, select edit/copy from the menu bar at the top of your browser.

b.Click back to your terminal/console and hit edit/paste that will save you a LOT of typing and make sure it�s all 100% correct.

c.This will paste the entire code from the easy-urpmi into your terminal, hit <enter> and you will see the system �go out� to the internet and update your sources.

(Comment:You can copy and paste individual lines of code if you want to see the result in stages. Otherwise copy all the code and run it all at once)

9)As soon as your sources are updated you can close your web browser, but return to your terminal window and type urpmi mklivecd <enter>

a. This will install the broken mklivecd scripts from /contrib and it will also install all dependencies.

b. To FIX that you�ll want to copy all mklivecd scripts from Toronto on to your Hard drive installation.

i.This isn�t as hard as it sounds, if you know what you�re looking for and WHERE!

ii.Personally I found it easiest to copy ALL of these items onto a small (256mb) USB key and just keep that around for creating these types of disks.

1.You could use a floppy or burn them to a CD, for me USB keys are small, light and they auto mount quite nicely.

10) If you choose this method I would suggest that at this point you power your system OFF and plug in your USB key. You will also want to insert the Toronto CD that was created in step 3 into your cdrom drive.

11) Once you power your system back up you will automatically be logged in as guest, the password for Guest is Guest.

a.Also please note that the default ROOT password is root.

12)WARNING: what I�m about to tell you accounts to heresy for most folks and you will receive MUCH grief if you spread this around. But as this is merely a simple how-to, I like to keep things SIMPLE.

13) Open up the terminal window, and when you get to the CLI type su <enter> and the password is root

14) Then type kdesu conqueror <enter>

a.This will launch the Konqueror Web/File browser in ROOT mode allowing you to navigate anywhere and copy anything (you�ll thank me later).

15)Move konqueror over a little and double click the �devices� icon.

a.This should show you a link to your USB key (if you went that route), as well as your HD installed partition.

b.Your HD installation will probably come up as �56gb storage� or something along those lines, indicating the size in the name.

c.Feel free to go to Configure your Computer/Mounting Points and mount the USB and HD install, but it�s usually not required.

16)Once you have your external devices open you will want to use the Konqueror that you opened in step 14 to drill down to /usr/sbin in your Toronto or root system.

a.Once in that directory copy the scripts mklivecd and hwdetect over to your USB key (again if you�ve gone that route) and into the /usr/sbin directories on your hard drive installation

b.You will get an overwrite warning, and that�s to be expected, go ahead and agree.

17)Next you will want to dig down to /usr/share and then copy the entire mklivecd directory to the same location on your hard drive installation, and your USB key (comment: there are 3 files in share)

18)After you have finished that you will, once again using the edition of Konqueror you opened in step 14 to drill down to /etc/rc.d and copy the rc.sysinit script and paste it to the same locations on your Hard drive install and your USB key.

19)After you have finished that you will, once again using the edition of Konqueror you opened in step 14 to drill down to /etc/rc.d.init.d and copy the halt script and paste it to the same locations on your Hard drive install and your USB key.

a.BTW it is perfectly OK to open more than one copy of Konqueror under root, I�ve had to create several of these by hand and I usually have 2 or 3 copies open at once, it makes the whole cut and paste thing much easier.

20)Copy the file /usr/lib/syslinux/flash.jpg from Toronto to the main usr/lib/syslinux/ in your Hard Drive installed area.

a.If you cant find flash. jpg (I never have) don�t sweat it, you will get a small error on boot, but that�s all. (comment: There is now a flash.jpg in the attached MCNL directory)

b. Alternatively you can create your own isolinux boot background.

c. It is a normal 640x480 jpg file.

21)If you want the special MCNLive scripts, all the �backup, persistent, re master scripts etc.

a.Using a Konquerors like that one you created in step 14 open up one over the Toronto root and go to /usr/local/bin and copy everything to your USB and or your Hard drive install. (comment: there are 8 files)

b.On your hard drive install, basically, you will want to copy ALL of the scripts from the Toronto folder into your hard drive�s /usr/local/bin

22)This SHOULD complete everything you need to do with the Toronto install cd, so at this point you can do a start/shutdown/restart on your system, Toronto should eject itself.

a.Once the cd ejects you can remove, press <enter> and your hard drive based system will boot up.

23)Once you have your hard drive install logged in and ready you need to open the MCC (start/system/configuration/configure your computer) and then go to Software and the installation section.

24) Once you have the search box available type in draklive-install and have the MCC see if it can find it in the repositories that you created in step 6.

a.This file is what will allow you to reinstall your Live CD/DVD back onto your hard drive in the case of an emergency.

b.On the off chance that MCC does NOT find it you can attempt a TERMINAL based install.

i.Open a console

ii.Type su <enter> root <enter>

iii.And then type urpmi draklive-install

(comment: the package the computer should find is �draklive-install-0.5-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm.� Install that version! Then you take the file from sbin MCNL �draklive-install� and replace it with the on you have installed on the computer � which you will also find in usr/sbin. The reason for this is if you use another version the computer will keep trying to update to the one you have installed above. You are, in fact replacing only the script and not the whole program!)

c.This SHOULD run through a series of command line installs that will actually install the draklive

d.If THAT still doesn�t work you SHOULD finally be able to get a copy from here: www.mcnlive.org/down/ but since this is a privately maintained site there�s no telling how long this information will be available.

i.If you choose to download it from the mcnlive site, when it downloads, MY recommendation is to SAVE it to your USB stick THEN let MCC install it. That way you will always have a copy.

ii.If you choose open when you double click on the name it will ask if you want to open it with the �installer� if you say yes, MCC will do its best to get everything installed for you.

25)Next you will need to download this syslinux prepackage and install it:

a.Once again this can TYPICALLY be done from the MCC/Software Install area

b.Occasionally you will have better luck going through the KONSOLE and using urpmi syslinux <enter>

c.HOWEVER, in some cases neither method will work and you will once again need to download a hard copy of that from:

d.http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mcnl/ and look for the file:

i.syslinux-3.36-5mcnl2007.1.i586.rpm

ii.Realize again that this is a privately hosted server so I would grab this and keep it safe.

iii.Also, this is a non-patched syslinux package with the vesa menu feature.

26)From here you will want to install the dependencies and the packages for zenity and bc

a.Very simply from your console type su <enter>

b.Put in your root password <enter>

c.Then type urpmi zenity <enter> which will grab the files from the net.

d.Then from the same Konsole window type urpmi bc

e.You�ll see the files roll by with their dependencies again and it will end at a command prompt

27) As we did earlier, I would recommend that you open a console type su <enter> and then kdesu conqueror <enter> this will open a ROOT controlled file browser as before.

28)Once that�s up you should navigate your way to /etc/ and look for a file called mtools.conf.

a.Once you find that RIGHT CLICK on that file and choose OPEN WITH and then choose whatever text editor is available to you (usually it will be Kate)

b.Scroll all the way to the end of the file and add the line: MTOOLS_SKIP_CHECK=1

29)AT this point everything should be in place, reboot your hard drive install and you should be ready to go!

30) BUT how can you be sure? Well NOW its time to make your VERY own live cd/DVD of your personally installed Linux system

31)Once your system is up and you have logged in there are a few things to verify before we start.

32) First off make sure you have NO other drives/partitions mounted.

a.This setup will NOT discriminate, and I�m SURE that there is a simple way around doing this, but I don�t know it yet so here�s what I do.

b.My main hard drive is a 320GB SATA drive, I use 50GB for my primary �/� system, so the remaining I format ext3 and give a weird mount point

c.The weird mount point is so that I can always find it.

d.In my case its /usr3

e.BEFORE I remaster MY installed system, I always go into MCC (start/system/configure your computer) and MOUNT points and unmount that drive.

i.This drive contains all my downloaded files and data and SHARED drives, so I don�t really need to carry it around with me.

ii.Leaving this device mounted will ALSO frequently make the resulting ISO way to big, and sometimes the mklivecd command will break in the middle as well.

33)Open a Konsole window and from the cli enter su <enter>, enter your root password (for your installed hard drive system) and hit enter

34)Then type the command df <enter> and this will display the SIZE of your installed system as well as the fact of whether you have any additional drives/partitions installed

a.You SHOULD only see one drive/partition listed something like /mnt/root / 2.4GB used 54GB free

b.Everyone�s hard drive install will look a little different, this is what MINE looks like.

c.As you can see my ENTIRE hard drive installed system in the �/� drive of my 56GB partition is only taking up 2.4GB and the remaining space is free

d.Remember the goal is not really to FILL that 56GB�s, that�s just work space and room to build my ISO�s

e.However it ALSO leaves me PLENTY of room to add anything that I want

35)Please don�t think I�m running a strictly barebones system, I have Gimp, Open Office, Audacity, amarok, Thunderbird, Opera and Pan installed, in addition to the traditional software that goes into a hard drive install.

a.However I DON�T have any games installed, another place to look is in the locales area. This is where MDV installs all the foreign languages.

i.Since I have barely mastered English that�s the only one I�m worried about/

b.You SHOULD be able to open MCC and un install the rest of the language support, but since I live in FL. I leave Spanish installed as well.

c.If you DO uninstall any of them WATCH the dependencies that are being uninstalled as well. You may need them later.

36)Once you know how big your installed system is, and you are pretty sure that with compression it will fit on a CD or DVD, it�s time to create your OWN!

37)While logged in as root (the su you performed earlier) at the cli type mklivecd --verbose mydate.iso <enter>

a.I include the date in the title of almost ALL my ISO�s, just because after you roll a few of them your gong to want to know hoe to use them!

b.Once you hit enter you SHOULD see a small welcome package and the, thanks to the --verbose command you should see a line fly by about EVERYTHING that is happening.

c.If you need some more options mklivecd �help should list everything available

38)There should be a series of statements that fly by as your ISO is created, for the first few re masters I would suggest that you watch these.

a.You can learn the process and maybe next time YOU can write the step by step instructions, or at least correct them!

b.Also it�s a GREAT place to watch for errors

c.When all is said and done, the last sentence before you are released to your CLI will be something along the lines of my082007.iso written 857000kb

d.That�s indicating that the ISO is written properly and takes up about 850MB, too big for a CD, grab a blank DVD

e.Insert the blank media in your drive and double click on the ISO image, usually it�s in your HOME directory, unless you pointed it elsewhere.

39)If you chose to install K3b or some other cd/DVD burner it should launch and in a few minutes you�ll have a FRESH copy of your own PERSONAL desktop on a live cd/DVD.

40)My suggestion is that you should re insert the disk, reboot the system and make SURE it works.

a.You may get a VALID written confirmation, and what appears to be a valid ISO, but when you try and RUN it, it fails.

b.Better to find that out NOW, then when you�re COUNTING on it for a restore.

41)Most of the errors that I have encountered have revolved around 2 things

a.The first is the image is TOO big.

i.When you do a df how much room does your whole Linux install take? I�ve worked with installs as large as 7.1 GB.

ii.Is there anything that you CAN or should remove before you start rolling?

1.For example I use firefox on almost every single pc I have, windows or Linux, but in THIS case I find that it brings a LOT of extra stuff with it, so for me Opera works just fine.

a.You could EVEN make a case for using just plain old Konqueror, but I have found some issues that occur with certain secure websites (my bank for example)

2.Another good example is Mail clients, I am a frequent user of Thunderbird, my wife likes Evolution, but it pulls in a LOT of GNOME with it.

a.So maybe a look at Kontact in conjunction with Kmail is the answer?

3.Then there is the issue of games.

a.Face it, they take up a LOT of space

b.�nuff said

iii.Also if you do a LOT of remastering like I do, you need to clean out some temp files every now and then.

1. for example /tmp/mklivecd.XXX is where failed builds live, and they eat up space QUICKLY

b.One of the other issues I FREQUESNTLY run into has to do with the mklivecd scripts not working correctly.

i.Remember we INTENTIONALLY installed the BAD broken scripts and then recopied a set of GOOD ones over the top.

ii.I�ve done this a DOZEN times and invariable every 3rd time, I fubar something in the copy and end up with a strange error.

1.HOWEVER, the good news is that IF you receive THIS error: ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem

Dropping you to a limited shell.

2.I can GUARANTEE that you need to reinstall your mklivecd scripts.

3.Matter of fact I typically will start from the top and work my way down through it all (except the HD install, that I�ll leave alone)

4.NOW You see why I suggest keeping all those files you download and copy in a safe 3rd area for reinstall purposes.

I installed 2007.1 and can�t login as ROOT!

1) The battle for ROOT/GUI logins continue!

2) Search ANY forum for ANY distribution and mention that you want to login

to KDE or GNOME as root, and the FLAME WARS will begin.

3) For some reason this is a VERY polarizing subject and to solve everything Mandriva has decided to make the standard installation without this ability.

4) Fear not, one of the reasons we USE open source is to change and personalize it in any way that we NEED, regardless of popular opinion.

5) This WILL require some Command Line work and some text editing skills

6) Open a terminal

7) From the command line type SU <enter> then the ROOT password <enter>

8) from the CLI cd /etc

9) that will put you in the etc subdirectory

10) then cd /kde

11) That will put you in /etc/kde

12) then cd/kdm

13) That will place you in /etc/kde/kdm subdirectory

14) Once there you will want to open a text editor, you can use ANY, but vi is installed in almost every Mandriva setup.

15) The file you�re looking for is kdmrc so vi kdmrc will open the file and ready it for editing

16) Once the file is open there are several methods of navigation, the simplest is to merely use your arrow keys to scroll through the file

17) You are searching for the line that says: AllowRootLogin=false

(please note Linux IS case sensitive)

18) From the END of the line backspace over the word false and set it =true

19) Again this is the SIMPLEST method, the current manual for vi is over 362 pages so there is a LOT of methods to use.

20) ESC will take you into command mode with a : at the bottom of the screen

21) from :wqall will WRITE your changes and QUIT all in one!

22) Again there are MANY different ways to do ANYTHING, this is just a simple one.

23) From here the NEXT time you login you will be allowed to login as ROOT

24) As a constant reminder that you ARE ROOT, your wallpaper will be RED.

25) The reason many folks don't agree with a root gui login is the sheer amount of mistakes that can CRIPPLE a PC logged in that way, so be careful!

(comment: most of what mindwave says is true. When you have done your first .iso and it works � then store it in a safe place. Before you do your next one add extras you want, personalize your settings etc and then create you next one. If when you run �df� you find your drive is getting too large, don't worry!! Even if you are up around 4GB that isn't a problem if you have used the compression option when using Easy Urpmi your iso image will be around 1.5GB. The thing is when you are installing to your hard drive you are more interested in keeping your settings etc, so that you don't have to start from Zero again!! Sorry, running on!! What ever you need give me or mindwave a shout.

One last thing! When you are about to create your next .iso check the files you have copied haven't been written over. Go through the check list from 16-26. Doesn't hurt to be careful. Don't install rosegarden it will break your creating .iso's!!)

Wow, and this is the easy way? ;)

The way I do it:

- Install one main system, the one you will be working on

- Install a second system, which will be the live cd at the end. This has to be on 1 single partition!!

- Install mklivecd from contrib on the main system, and mount the second system.

- Copy the mklivecd scripts from the Toronto cd (you can do this directly from the iso, just mount the livecd.sqfs file with "mount -o loop -t squashfs"), and replace the original scripts with those.

Now, run mklivecd --verbose --root=/mnt/path/to/your/second/install livecd.iso :)

That's it! Really! :)

Now, if you'd like to install extra packages on the second install, don't boot into it, just use "urpmi --root=/mnt/path/to/your/second/install" :)

Edited by highking

Wow, and this is the easy way? ;)

The way I do it:

- Install one main system, the one you will be working on

- Install a second system, which will be the live cd at the end. This has to be on 1 single partition!!

- Install mklivecd from contrib on the main system, and mount the second system.

- Copy the mklivecd scripts from the Toronto cd (you can do this directly from the iso, just mount the livecd.sqfs file with "mount -o loop -t squashfs"), and replace the original scripts with those.

Now, run mklivecd --verbose --root=/mnt/path/to/your/second/install livecd.iso :)

That's it! Really! :)

Now, if you'd like to install extra packages on the second install, don't boot into it, just use "urpmi --root=/mnt/path/to/your/second/install" :)

as bookie mentioned, the list above has nothing to do with standard mklivecd, BUT i must say that i have followed the directions to the letter (i think) and i am getting non bootable cd's using my own install. before you posted your blub here highking, i booted to the MCNLive cd and ran mklivecd in almost the exact manner than you mentioned and it made a nice bootable version of my system.

i am just about ready to wipe out the hard drive once again and reinstall 2007.1 spring (non-pwp) and attempt to create the system on bootable cd without using the mcnlive cd. maybe i placed a file in the wrong directory, maybe its because i am NOT using KDE but rather gNOME instead, i did get an error about icewm not being present (not a clue why icewm needs to be there). but if i was to do it the way you describe highking then all of the customization options would not be present in the new bootable cd. some of the obvious for experienced users would be that they know where custom wallpaper files exist, they know how to edit the 'star/start' menu from command line or word editor (non-visual). some of the more experienced users know how to make all the custom changes that they need to without as you said, ever booting that system.. I for one am not an experienced user, i for one do not know how to make the changes necessary to make my new system custom without booting to it and... I am probably not the only one.

what bookie and mindwave are trying to express is that you could make your own desktop linux system and then turn it into a bootable cd/dvd.. mindwave for one mentions that he uses his bootable dvd with the install to harddrive option as a backup. this is a great idea for many of the newer users like myself. if i can keep my desktop system running for more than 2 weeks it is an absolute miracle. i tend to break my system sometimes daily, sometimes hourly. a quick simple backup without the need to customize over and over again after every install is a brilliant idea. not to mention the extra bonus that after you have created a bootable cd/dvd of your exact desktop system, you now have a version that you can take with you on trips, to work, over to a buddies house and use it introduce your buddy to linux or use it to fix your buddies system.

the possibilities are endless, depending upon the exact use of your desktop system. i have my own ideas, everybody else may have an idea of their own that is not absolute mainstream. we are not all sheep!

still learning,

lurch

Hi lurch, you sort of hit the nail on the head!! You can understand why mindwave and I were a little upset after putting so much work into this project - only to find that chris b at MNCL has retired from being a part of the MCNLivecd.

As yet, I don't think there is anyone to carry on the work!!

Which means we have only the 2007.1 version to work with!!

Thanks for your comments

bookie :)

Edited by bookie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.