LiveCD Creation

Phydeaux

Well, I dont want to get anybody hopes up tooo high just yet, but i have been toying with the mklivecd scripts in an effort to modify them for 2008.0. the problem is as yet i do not know enough of how the scripts work exactly to modify them sucessfully. i have already mentioned to mindwave that after the first of the year, i will likely tackle this task with all that i have. i need to learn the language and then figure out what changes have been made to the 2008 boot code to see if i cannot figure out what exactly is missing from the scripts.

i am a n00b, and at this exact moment in time do not expect too much from me. although i would like to be the one to make the 2008 script, i can only hope that someone with more knowledge than myself will beat me to it.

i have started a new channel at irc.freenode.net, #MCNLive for anybody who is interested to 'chat', seek help, or discuss just about anything. i do not have the time to spend 24/7 there so unless some more people visit, its likely to be empty alot.

lurch

You will find that mindwave has also looked at rewriting the scripts! Unfortunately, he has rather a lot of outside commitments and probably wont have the time.

I would love to be able to rewrite scripts. Wouldn't know where to begin.

I wish you luck with that :thumbs:

I will have a look at your chat link as well.

bookie

Hi guys, thought I'd have another say on this issue. I've pleased to report that I've had some measure of success with my project, although not in the manner I had envisaged. My project required setting up an Apache web service on the live-cd, however, I have found (through trying various methods) that I can't get the web server to serve images, style or interpret javascript, so in the end, I gave up on this method and used XAMPP for Linux instead (as used in distro's such as Lamppix and Slampp) and this solved my problem.

As for the methods I used - I tried with the MCNL Toronto release and, using this as a basis, I was able to build my live-cd with everything working properly (with the exception of Apache), but, since this release doesn't include most of the software that I needed, I decided to use the Spring release of Mandriva One 2007.1 (since this includes all the necessary office software that I needed) and followed the instructions that bookie and mindwave worked out and was able to build a working live-cd. However, I still had the same problems with Apache.

I even tried using Mandriva 2008 for this project, but found a number of problems with this approach (more work needs to be done here, I think ;) ). The biggest problem in using 2008 as a basis is that the "insmod" program (which checks and loads the kernel modules) is actually called "insmod" while in the 2007.1 (and MCNL) releases it is called "insmod-25" (for some unknown reason). To get around this I created a symbolic link to "insmod-25". this got around the major problem and actually built the iso, but it didn't boot properly.

When I've finished the particular project that I am currently working on, I might have another look at 2008 and see what I can do.

Regards, Phydeaux.

as my new job doesnt allow me the pleasure or the time needed to research all of the issues surrounding making live cd's, i must admit that with the most basic of instructions that bookie and mindwave have whipped up as well as the almost identical instructions left by chris:b will not produce a working bootable cd/dvd for me. i suspect it is because i am not running KDE but rather i am using gnome. i get errors upon running mklivecd script both from within my running install and from the toronto cd. upon creating the ISO and burning it, all the iso's even if i run the script again and again without making any changes or without rebooting, are all different sizes. only by a few kb's but still different, i burned the largest of the ISO's to disk and it booted but was unable to start X, perhaps its an issue with gdm vs. kdm.

i did a little comparisson to the broken mklivecd and the known good mklivecd scripts last nite and i must say, WOW.. there is a ton of difference between the two.. namely in the modules sections, thats only one of the parts to the mklivecd coarse.

after the first of the year i will have more time to devote to such things.. hopefully i can do some good. like Phydeaux i too have looked at the 2008 ONE cd, these are obviously created in much the same manner as MCNL but they do not retain any of the scripts. i was kinda hoping that adamW would be able to aquire these scripts or at the very least ask some questions as an insider (adamW is a mandriva employee). i have not yet contacted adamw concerning this matter.

lurch

Edited by lurch

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.